When To Go To The Emergency Room

Hey everyone I was interested in knowing when others go to the emergency room, like how bad do your symptoms have to be before you decide you need to go? I've been to the hospital to many times and realized all they do is admit me and load me up on medications for blood pressure,heart rate, and fluids. Last night my heart rate went up to 186 while laying down but I didn't feel that sick all I had was pressure in my chest and half way down my left arm- I know some people say when ever you have pain going down your left arm with chest pain/pressure then you have to go to the hospital but I have that so many times and I haven't died so obviously it wasn't serious enough for me to go to the ER. Since I'm underage I have to go to the children's hospital and they just look at me like I'm crazy because most of the ER staff there doesn't have a clue about my illness. But for the past 3 days I've had a constant pressure in my chest and my heart rate has never went up that high before it normally goes up to the 150's now it goes up to 180's. I feel alright minus the chest discomfort. So I don't think it's serious enough to go to the ER. When does your symptoms get so bad that you go to the ER?

Since I have a pacemaker and central IV lines, I have to go to ER when I run a fever. - otherwise, I only go when I know I won't get better without IV fluids - I've managed to stay out of the hospital as an in-patient this whole year (so far) and have only been to the ER one time......keeping fingers crossed.....I have a pretty high tolerance to misery which serves me well......

A heart rate in the 180's will certainly cause chest pain or pressure as a symptom. - the heart is working way too fast and too hard - you need immediate medical attention if it does not come down quickly

If you don’t know whether you should go to the ER, you can always call your primary care doctor’s office and speak to either your doctor or the nurse. There is usually always a nurse on call. I have done this before. The nurse just asked about my symptoms. In my case, she said I didn’t need to go to the ER unless my symptoms got worse, and made me an appt with my doctor for the next morning.

Hope this helps!

I can't count the number of hours I've spent thinking about going to the ER this year but I've managed to avoid it except for one visit this year when both my autonomic doc and primary wanted me to go to rule out stroke. I knew it wasn't stroke but went at their insistence. This week I had a severe flushing episode that had me very short of breath and I was paying close attn to my throat. If I had any swelling (anaphylaxis) I would have gone but that did not happen. I had all sorts of other problems, erratic HR, BP, palpitations, parasthesias, fever, etc.

I've kinda learned that when I feel like I'm dying, I'm not. I agree w E, if your HR is that high and doesn't come down, especially when supine, you should go to ER. And, like Leigh, I thinkits probably best to call your local doc who can help manage acute situations.