Itchy Lower Legs...not Sure If This Is Pots Related?

cmreber

So, lately, I have been experiencing random itchy legs, though it is usually only in my lower legs and especially the shin area. This seems to happen mostly at night when I'm trying to go to bed. I don't feel like it is any sort of skin reaction because I have no rash, etc. Lotion and benadryl don't seem to help either. I literally have to stop myself from scratching because it feels like I could just scratch all the skin off and it still wouldn't stop. Eventually, it just goes away or I finally fall asleep. Has anyone else had this? I did read that there can be "deep itching" in people with neuropathy, and my doctor thinks that I do have a neuropathic component as far as the POTS is concerned. Maybe this is what I'm experiencing? If so, I'm curious to know what kinds of things might help to stop it. Have a good day everyone!!! :)

I get the same feeling. In my lower legs and all over at times. My mom remember the exact day is started (i was 5 so 16 yrs ago) and I would throw fits as a child about being so itchy i couldnt stand it and nothing would help it! Now im more use to it. My legs get itchy a few times a week at night and my whole body only a few times a month. Not sure what causes it :(

I have a lot of really bad unexplained itching off and on on my legs, belly, and back. I have also had a lot of neuromuscular symptoms. I don't know if my itching is neuropathy related or related to the blood pooling, but I definitely think it is a symptom of dysautonomia. Unfortunately I can't offer any suggestions for treating it because nothing worked for me. It usually lasts a few weeks and then goes away on its own.

My legs were always itchy after taking a shower. This was before the POTS diagnose. But my dermatologist refers to mastcell activation (hyperactivation due to stress he taught, but after reading more about POTS I think it's related.) If it's to bad, I use some antihistamines and they seem to help.

I also have the same issues about restless, painfull, legs as Joyagh describes.

Thank you everyone for your responses! I've never really looked into having any mast cell issues. I know the doctor did mention I could have an autoimmune component, but I think my blood work for the immunological studies was pretty normal. It is interesting to know some of you on here get this too and it does have to make you wonder what might cause it for some of us. It does seem like it may be POTS/dysautonmia related. Possibly the blood pooling like khaarina suggested? Maybe it is different things for different people... mast cells issues for some, neuropathy for others, or pooling blood or a combination.

Joyagh, I might just have to try that self massage technique to see it it helps!

Oh my, I didn't realize until reading your posts that my itchy ankles could be due to POTS. I've never been tested for mast cell, so I can't comment on that. I've only recently found out that I have POTS and adrenal insufficiency.

I've been swelling (pooling), mostly in one leg since age 38. I now pool in both. But, this year, I began the horrible itching. It's only in one ankle at a time. Could be the inside, could be the outside. Nothing helps. I have to stop myself too, or I'll scratch myself silly! I eventually fall asleep too.

I've always been itchy all over. I thought I was just sensitive. I worry that people will think I have cooties, lol, I scratch so much. The ankles are horrible though.

My son and I have broken out in hives quite a few times for no apparent reason. For me, it starts in my scalp and then to my trunk and into my extremities. I itch EVERYWHERE!

My son's episodes have been when he passes out. The hives resolve on their own for both of us. He doesn't itch because he's passed out and the hives go away by the time he comes to.

I don't know what causes the hives or the itchy ankles. I'm glad to know other people have the same issue. We might all look like hairless cats before long!