Do Your Symptoms Get Worse If You Don't Eat?

khaarina

I hate to eat in the morning, always have. The idea of eating within a few hours of waking up just grosses me out. I think maybe it is because my symptoms are so bad in the morning. Anyway, lately I've noticed that if I don't eat in the morning I feel terrible. Mainly nausea, extreme fatigue, and dizziness. Then I'll eat something and 30 minutes later I'm good to go. I've tested my blood glucose several times and my numbers are always normal. I've been on Midodrine for about 3 weeks and I feel much better while on it, but not unless I've eaten. Does anyone know why this could be happening? Do you think it is something I should be concerned about?

Yes. I've been tested for hypoglycemia multiple times in my life starting in middle school. I also self tested with a meter for 90 days for my PCP when I would start to feel goofy from not eating. I was only lower than 72 once. I usually lingered in the mid-70's at those moments but apparently that doesn't qualify as something to worry about. I've kind of given up on that track and just monitor my diet. I make sure I planned my days in a way that will allow me to eat something (even if its only a KIND bar) every 3 hrs. or so. I also try to make a point to include a decent amount of protein each time I eat (8+ grams) so I don't bottom out later. I think my body is just less tolerant of flucuations in my sugar than the average bear. My maternal grandmother, mom, and sister are all like this too. Interestingly enough, they all also have some form of autoimmune thyroid disease. I'm not yet dx'ed with this but my thyroid is now enlarged, so I would imagine its only a matter of time. As I'm writing this, its the first time I've made the link between all of us having thyroid concerns and having issues with sugar (my gran was the only one with an official hypoglycemic dx but we all have symptoms). I will now have to go look to see if there's a link between thyroid and sugar regulation issues.

For me it's a lose lose. If I don't eat (I've gone weeks without eating) I mainly get jittery. If I don't eat longer than a day my symptoms get worse, dizzy, fatigue, foggy. The other lose is if I do eat, no matter what, I get extreme nausea, my reflux kicks in, stomach cramps. I also have to time what I eat. I can't leave my house 2 hours after I eat anything because of the motion sickness. I don't like to eat in the mornings but I love my coffee so i'll have a cup. Which leads to eating a piece of toast to help with the caffeine jitters. But then I won't eat until dinner time and it's something super small.

I have definitely noticed the same thing. When I was hospitalized they had a standing order to check my sugars when I started feeling symptomatic (because I noticed that I would feel some relief after eating). My sugars were fine, but I still notice the connection and I also have to eat something every few hours. Before pots, I could go a long time without eating and barely felt hungry.

Michelle: gosh, that's horrible that you have to endure all of that:(

Thanks for your responses. I did some more research and there are some connections being made between dysautonomia and blood sugar regulation. I didn't find anything revolutionary, but it helps me make some sense of why I feel this way when I don't eat. In the mean time I put a plastic tub full of Doritos beside my bed last night. My husband suggested it because I seem to need the salt and the carbs, plus I love Doritos so maybe I will be more likely to eat some in the morning. It worked. I do love Doritos, lol. And I felt better much quicker this morning.

There does seem to be a connection for many of us with sugar levels and symptoms. This was one of the more dramatic symptoms for me when I was severely symptomatic during my pregnancy. My dr recommended small meals, closer together, and to eat more salt and more fat and protein. This did help me. I was also tested many times with glucose tolerance tests (one lasting 4 hrs) and other glucose tests and nothing was every shown to be abnormal--yet I was symptomatic. I think part of if, in my POTS case anyway, is that my adrenaline release is on a hair trigger, and even a small change in bg causes my hr to go up and the other symptoms to kick in.

For me it's a lose lose. If I don't eat (I've gone weeks without eating) I mainly get jittery. If I don't eat longer than a day my symptoms get worse, dizzy, fatigue, foggy. The other lose is if I do eat, no matter what, I get extreme nausea, my reflux kicks in, stomach cramps. I also have to time what I eat. I can't leave my house 2 hours after I eat anything because of the motion sickness. I don't like to eat in the mornings but I love my coffee so i'll have a cup. Which leads to eating a piece of toast to help with the caffeine jitters. But then I won't eat until dinner time and it's something super small.

. Me too! Eating makes me feel awful, but if I don't eat for a while it makes me feel bad too. I'm on this weird schedule where I won't eat for a day and then if I feel better after that I will eat too much which makes me feel bad... Ugh vicious cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to eat in the morning, always have. The idea of eating within a few hours of waking up just grosses me out. I think maybe it is because my symptoms are so bad in the morning. Anyway, lately I've noticed that if I don't eat in the morning I feel terrible. Mainly nausea, extreme fatigue, and dizziness. Then I'll eat something and 30 minutes later I'm good to go. I've tested my blood glucose several times and my numbers are always normal. I've been on Midodrine for about 3 weeks and I feel much better while on it, but not unless I've eaten. Does anyone know why this could be happening? Do you think it is something I should be concerned about?

this is my WORST symptom. I am constantly having to be prepared for when and where i will get my next meal...

And also I need to eat at very specific times. I cant just go an hour past when i Normally eat lunch because then my heart starts racing i start getting dizzy and faint and flush and it is NO GOOD!!!!

Let me tell you this part of the illness ***** big time. I mean its like being a diabetic to be honest as I have to pack very well balanced snacks and meals with us where ever we go. I have been keeping track of my blood sugar with a monitor and it actually seems to swing high more than low. My blood sugar readings are more in the 90's without eating and then when i eat I do the 1-2 hour testing and its usually between 117-133ish.

The problem is these readings aren't high enough for doctors to worry about....

Hope you find some relief!!

I'm really struggling with symptoms of hypoglycemia lately. I have no way of testing my blood sugar right now, but when my glucose was done in the past, everything was OK. I have eliminated all sugar and carbs from my diet, except for fruits, and still see no improvement. I find myself eating very small meals every three hours or so to try to ease the jitters, nausea, brain fog, etc. I read beta blockers can alter the glucose metabolism in the liver and pancreas, so I wonder if they are not partly to blame.

. Me too! Eating makes me feel awful, but if I don't eat for a while it makes me feel bad too. I'm on this weird schedule where I won't eat for a day and then if I feel better after that I will eat too much which makes me feel bad... Ugh vicious cycle.

Count me in that group too! I get where I don't even want to look at food because of how bad I feel after eating. Then when I finally do eat because I just get too weak, etc, it makes me feel awful again. I am starting to have a bit of a hate relationship with eating because of it. Although, I have found yogurt seems to be kind to me for some reason.