Do You Have A (Emotional Or Otherwise) Therapy Animal?

Starburned

I know how tough it is, emotionally, to not be able to do the things you want to because of health problems and being stuck at home a lot. I know for my sister and I pets have become sort of emotional therapy animals. My Hahn's macaw (picture in my avatar) in particular cheers me up with his happy, energetic, and cuddly nature. :) I do think he's helped me a lot in staving of depression.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww hes a pretty macaw, I used to have a quaker who was such a brat lol...Ive been stuck at home for 2 months now and I totally agree animals can help with the emotional aspect of things. We have a zoo here. 2 cats, one is a maine coon so he is as big as a dog and has been my cuddle buddy, and my dog has been my exercise lol...they really have been the best support because they dont judge and always seem to know when I dont feel good ...=))

My pets make me feel so much better. :) We have four dogs ( we are foster failures ;)) a cat, a conure, and fish. The macaw is so gorgeous! Animals are so good at telling when you're not feeling well.

We are the second family to our neighbors dog, Bella. Since I have been feeling bad and not working, Bella spends most days with me. She definitely helps me stave off depression. Having a cuddle buddy who loves you no matter how you look or feel is a wonder drug! Bella spends so much time over at our house, that I "almost" feel guilty about it. But they are so busy, I think it works out for both families and Bella.

I have several parrots. When I was at my worst I still managed to crawl to the bird room and clean at least the cage trays. I was so worried about their future because at the time I didn't know if I would ever get better. I love them all.

My dog was so wonderful, she was very young at the time and that good dog would lay by my side and never complain if I couldn't do much. They absolutely do understand.

I wish. We had taken in a stray momma cat and had a littler of wonderful bundles of joy that just made my day. Unfortunately we are not allowed to have pets so we rehomed them before we were found out. It broke my heart and my days are very empty with them. They truly did help with my anxiety when everyone went off to work and school in the morning.

I totally agree with animal therapy. Sadly we had to put our 13 year old yellow lab down two weeks ago :( . He has been great company for me, especially over the past year when I was mostly housebound. Right now I can't imagine putting myself through that pain again, but i know I won't be able to resist an animal in need.

For now we have three red foxes that visit our yard on a daily basis. They love to play and come when we call them, so they'll do for now ;)

Great topic.

All my life I've been involved in rescue work with local shelters, and have worked difficult dogs that had 'issues' that kept them from being adopted. I volunteered for shelters and fostered and rehabilitated many dogs that would have been euthanized otherwise and saw them through to adoption.

It's very rewarding, and my last foster was almost a year ago. Have not been well enough to do another yet. It requires walking a dog that needs rehabbed so that's keeping me away, and I miss being of service.

My husband I have always had dogs, and currently have my one and only foster failure. He's a love and has turned into a therapy dog for me. Amazing. Who rescued who?

Love birds, but have found I can't keep them as I'm so sensitive to sound. I had gotten a beautiful pair of lovebirds several years ago, and didn't realize how my sensitivity to sound made it too difficult to keep them.

I placed them in a wonderful home, they're very happy. But I appreciated their charm and funny ways they made me smile!

Love horses, and one of the things I miss the most is my inability to keep a horse these days. Used to lease one in the winter from a friend, and loved trail riding, and just being around a stable. Such peaceful creatures. I miss riding tremendously and feel it's a permanent loss.

Your macaw is beautiful!

I really don't know what I would do without my Italian Greyhound Grace Kellie. She is my constant companion. On my worse days I lay and just cuddle with her and having another breathing being helps me get through.

I have a mini dachshund..couldn't have asked for a better companion. She is always sitting with me and seems to know when I am not feeling well. I absolutely love her and adore her!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad you can all have companionship and support. The hours alone of silence could be broken by talking to your pets - and not being nuts! lol!

I am so jealous of you all. There is NO WAY I could take care of a pet. I had a lovely cockatiel that I loved so much 20 years ago when I had my first year that I was unable to work. As there wasn't an Internet, he was a Godsend.

Then I had to admit that I could not take optimum care of him. Syncoped to clean his cage; wasn't able to clean up after him properly; trouble getting his supplies that he liked, etc. Eventually my friends (I had some local friends 20 years ago - lol) told me I needed to give him up. I found him a wonderful home. My days have been silent since then until I got the blessing of being in an infusion center with real people three days a week.

Today I went to a therapist for folks with cognitive failure. All she suggested was a POTS service dog and asked me if I knew how to request one.

I enjoyed reading this.

Edited by corina

• 4 weeks later...

If you notice my user name for this forum, it's because of my special dog. She was a gift from my husband a few years before I got sick. I loved her dearly, but it was not until I became I'll that I realized just how special she was. When I first started having episodes of syncope( a year before POTS diagnosed) she could somehow sense when they were going to happen. She would whine and push at my feet, when I would start to regain conscienceness, she would always be there licking away my tears. Sticking close for hours, to make sure i was ok. To this day, she is my closest daily companion.

Sadly she is 12 yrs old now, and having her own health problems. Vet says its time to let her go. I just don't know how.( but I know I have too) I will miss her so!!!

It is very hard to let go. I have done it many times, I'm a retired vet tech with many of my own pets. The last time I did this, I looked that wonderful dog right in the eyes as the vet was injecting her and said 'Lucky, it's been entirely my pleasure'. I wanted her to know that she was special to me right until the very end. I can't help but think they appreciate it. I mean, in humans the last sense to go is the hearing so it is probably the same for our dogs.

Best wishes when it comes your turn. Animal lovers are really sensitive people, no wonder we are so affected!

My dog is dying, as well; prayers for you to know when the right time is. I'm hoping mine goes in her sleep. It's my birthday today, and my son's tomorrow, so I'm hoping she waits a few for our sake. :( It is very hard to let them go. I held my 18 years old cat in my arms until he passed on....

Thanks Marsha....I'm just hoping she waits until after our birthdays!! I've already mourned her loss, because she is no longer the same. Senile and grumpy at times, so it will be easier to let her go!! I'm fighting a cold today, so I'll be home all day today, but yesterday, I was able to sing in choir practice, open many wonderful gifts, and go out to eat!! I even got to spend time with my one son that still lives close. He came to dinner with my husband and I. Have a blessed Valentine's day!! :wub: Much love, Kim

Kim,

We went out to dinner too! It was a big deal because it's the first time in five years I wasn't worried about how I felt and if I could handle it. Sooooo nice.

You are right, it is easier to let pets go when their personalities change. That has happened to me too and I knew it was a kindness. I am glad you had a Happy Valentine's Day!

Marsha