How Many Ounces Of Water Do You Drink A Day?

Leigh8

How many ounces of water/liquids do you drink a day?  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can I recommend SmartWater? I know it's mad expensive, but it really has worked miracles for my fluid retention. tap water/regular bottled water runs right through me, and I definitely notice a difference in my blood pressure when I drink more. When I had my TTT done this week my neurologist asked me how much water I thought I was getting a day. She said that they want POTS patients to have 60-80 ounces a day! YIKES. That's a nice goal, but I'm petite, get full easily, and physically have nowhere to put that much! I am constantly drinking from my giant 33 or 50 oz bottle of smartwater all day and i just get full. I also have to eat so there's just nowhere to put 80 oz of water.

I've varied my fluid intake as an experiment, just to see if I notice any change in my symptoms - mainly hr and bp. I used to drink 1 gallon + of water a day, now I've settled for 2 liters (67 oz or so) but I've tried to go as low as 1 liter a day just to see if anything changes. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting this, but I did not notice any major changes.

More than that I've reduced my salt intake (I only consume what a normal person would, I'm actually quite at the low end of the "normal" spectrum of salt consumption and my stomach is quite grateful for this). I've also reduced my florinef intake from 0.2 to 0.1 mg a day. No changes in bp and/or hr ....actually, for the first time in a long time, my bp seems to have stabilized - I no longer experience horrible spikes in bp (I hope I haven't spoken too soon) and my headaches aren't as bad as they used to be. My hr is still elevated at times, but I've gotten used to it...I think.

I won't see my dr for another 2 mo, but I'm quite curious to hear his opinion on this given that he diagnosed me with hypovolemic POTS (so florinef plus salt an fluid loading should help).

Alex

I love smart water! I don't think there is a significant amount of salt or electrolytes in it because on the bottle it says electrolytes added "for taste". It really does taste good though. :)

I drink Smart Water also; 2/day. 0 sodium. Bottle says calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, and potassium chloride added for taste but it does not give quantity which makes me think it's so minute that it's not even measurable. I could be wrong. It was much cheaper before Jennifer Aniston was doing the commercials. But I can still get it at my local BJ's for a dollar ($11.99 for a case of 12). I buy 4 cases at a time. Sometimes at work I'll drink the first bottle and fill up with the water cooler just to try and save a little on cost. But my mental status thinks it helps and I try not to cross my emotional needs... :unsure:

I have been drinking about 64 oz of water a day, plus two V-8 juices on bad bp days. Smart Water sounds like a good idea, since the regular water goes in and out very quickly. There are a few waters out there that claim to have lots of electrolytes in them which will probably be better for fluid retention and thus bp. I'm looking into them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I usually try to drink 30-60 oz of water a day plus Gatorade on bad days..I haven't really ever tried Smart water, other then just grabbing a bottle here and there, but I had a patient today tell me about electrolytes that you can buy at the health food store to add to reg. water. I was going to buy some to try and see if it makes a difference because if I don't start retaining some more water soon I am going to float away!

• 4 months later...

I think I'm currently drinking at least 150 ounces of nuun water a day. I'm just so thirsty all the time! When I exercise inside, I'll drink 16-32 ounces during exercise. When I jog outside, I'll drink 50-75oz, or more! And then I fill my 32oz. mug up several times a day. I do worry that it's a little excessive but I think I really need it. I've always (even before POTS, or before I had it bad) needed to carry water with me everywhere I go. And now that I"m taking florinef, I seem to be even more thirsty.