Anyone Else Get This?

hholmes13

So I get these strange bouts where I feel like I'm coming down with a cold...my throat starts to get sore/scratchy and I feel tired (more so than usual fatigue). However, I never end up actually getting sick (no congestion/aches/coughing/sneezing, etc). It will last for a few days, and sometimes after I feel like I need to clear my voice a lot and it breaks a little. I always think...oh great I'm getting sick, but then it doesn't actually happen.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Ive have this symptom too, I havent decided if its typical allergies (which are horrible, EVERYDAY ugh) or if its connected. I always feel like my glands are swollen and at the same time Ill get a terrible neck ache and headache. I love to know what the connection is...Ill lay down and take a nap or sleep for the night and itll be gone for awhile. At times when I feel like this Ive also noticed my body temp drops to about 96.8(ish) Wish I knew why lol ;)

Interesting question. During the 6mos before having a severe onset I had 3 pretty bad colds that kept me from work for at least a week each. Since onset, I have only had one little cold w a slight sore throat and runny nose. Yet, I often get that scratch in my throat feeling like I used to get before a cold. Funny thing is, almost every day now I feel like I have the achiness, fatigue and brain fog of the flu without the traditional sinus problems.

Well Hallelujah! - I'm not the only one in the world with this problem. I've had this for years. I get a scratchy throat, begin to feel like I'm coming down with something - kind of achy and tired - even a low-grade fever - my joints will ache - I prepare myself for a battle with the flu or a bad cold and....it all goes away in a couple of days....I think it is part of my AAG (autoimmune disorder) - ....maybe we are all related in some fashion!

Hi guys, this was happening to me on and off since I was a kid. I would feel sick and feverish, but it would never get very high, but my normal temp was low to begin with. After having this low grade fever on and off with activity for years and feeling sickly, my neuro checked my quantitative immunoglobulins, two of them were low.

This means I have a primary immune deficiency called hypogammaglobulinemia or cvid. When you have this your body is not able to mount a normal defense to infections, so you don't get the obvious signs a normal person gets with an infection on board. I now get immunoglobulin replacement monthly. So, now when I have what feels like something coming on, feverish without a fever and pain, I get a cbc done. My wbc count is almost always elevated when I'm feeling this way, my primary now gives me a shot or two of rocephine antibiotics when this happens to knock the infection down, other wise it keeps rising and I could get an untreatable infection once it rises into the 20's which has happened several times. The first time it was documented though was due to a colon rupture, for no real obvious reason, causing infection and a fever that only reached 100.2. IV antibiotics saved me that time. We have still yet to determine where or what the infections are, I can only go by location of pain which is usually in my right pelvic/ab area.

I have a standing mri for the next time it happens.

Primaryimmune.org is a great website to read up on this.

I get this too only not the scratchy throat like a cold but the aches and weakness like the flu, but no flu ever comes. Sometimes i think it is just a phase in the repeating cycle of this disease for me.

Interesting! Glad to know it's not just me. This one has given me a tiny bit of a runny nose and is lasting a bit longer than usual, so maybe this time around it may actually be a cold although not really much of one if it is. Granted, I have been taking vitamin C supplements (Emergen-C or Airborne) 2-3x a day the past few days.

I've heard so much about autoimmune stuff possibly fitting in with POTS that I've often wondered if I should have some of those things checked out.

This is interesting. My son will have a horse voice and a sore throat part of the time. It comes and goes. He never runs a fever but feels more tired and complains that he aches all over. Sometimes he is flushed in the face and other times he is pale looking. What is the deal? I hope you have more responeses to your question because I would really like to know what might be causing this. Good question to ask!

Yes, I get this at least once a week. Not 'scratchy' but sore, and my throat feels swollen.

Also thought it was CFS, but it doesn't seem to progress. I always think 'here I go again with swollen glands and being too sick to move for days' but it seems to subside fairly quickly. Don't know what to make of it.

Would never have attributed it to pots if hholmes hadn't mentioned it. Almost a relief to know it's not CFS, but then again perhaps these two are hand in hand with many of us. (hate to refer back to the new Mayo paper Issie posted, but even Mayo is now connecting Pots to CFS)...

The edges of the puzzle seem to be complete. Now for the picture in the middle.

Started recently - today I thought I was getting a cold, now unsure. I'm seeing a pulmonologist on Weds 12/5 to talk about my recent shortness of breath. My sister mentioned vocal cord dysfunction, which she has, and it sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing - it also includes a sore throat (like a pre-cold) and I get hoarse or occasionally lose my voice and have to clear my throat a lot. We'll see what the pulmonologist says, but it's very annoying!