Zoloft Starting Dose

Jacquie802

I am suffering from anxiety as well as POTS and would like to know what dose of Zoloft others have tried. Also, does a low dose increase our risk for long QT syndrome?

Zoloft didn't do anything for me but my primary started me out at 100mg. I thought she was crazy an quartered it. I upped the mg every 2 weeks so 25mg for 2 weeks, 50mg for 2 weeks, etc. I was on it about 3 months with no effects. I've also tried Prozac which literally made me crazy. It was horrible. Lorazepam works best for me but makes me drowsy. I've found breathing and change in thinking help more than any meds.

I have an rx for lorazepam but I am nervous to take it if I am going to be driving. What dose of the lorazepam helps you? I have 1 mg but have the option of cutting it in half..

I have been on Zoloft for a while. Originally I was prescribed it for "panic attacks" when I thought my symptoms must be all in my head. They started me at 25 mg and I was sick as a dog for two weeks. I literally could not get up off the couch. I pushed through it and kept taking it and moved up to 50 mg. It helped with the anxiety and other POTS symptoms (even though I still didn't know what they were). I went off of it because I had to for an overseas job and my symptoms all got much, much worse-- anxiety, tachycardia, dizziness, fainting, nausea, etc. Several months later I went back on it, starting at like 6 mg using a pill cutter. It was much easier for me to go up from starting that low. I went up to 50 mg and thought I was ok, but then I had a really bad period of fainting and seizing and injuring myself while unconscious. Finally at that point I was referred to a heart clinic and diagnosed after testing. They bumped me up to 100 mg, which was hard to adjust to at first (again I stepped it up gradually though) but helped. I was on Florinef with it for a while, but stopped because it gave me horrible headaches.

My issue with Zoloft is that it is very difficult to lose weight. I am extremely careful about what I eat so I do not gain weight, and I actually lowered my dosage to 75 mg to try to lose a couple of pounds. It worked, but after a few months at this dosage, I am feeling quite a bit worse. Much worse insomnia, night sweats, inability to eat a normal-sized meal without getting crazy tachy...

• 2 months later...

Starting the zoloft tomorrow because I have been symptomatic and honestly my anxiety seems to be taking over. My doctor told me I could start at 12.5mg. Has anyone had any problems starting with this dose? A few months back I started Prozac (fluoxetine) at 10mg and had horrible tachycardia and immediately discontinued it.