How Much Does Hr Increase From Sitting To Standing In Normal/healthy People?

Leigh8

From what I've read an increase of 30bpm from sitting to standing is relatively normal. When I was in the ER the first time, I stood up from the hospital bed and watched as my HR increased from 40 to 90. I brought this up with the doctor and he said it was completely normal - and that it'd have to go way up - to 130 or so to become a concern.

However, that was from lying down to standing. I'm sure there's a difference between lying down and standing up, and sitting down and standing up.

http://circ.ahajourn.../118/3/e61.full

At present, we define POTS as an excessive increase in heart rate associated with symptoms of more than 3 months’ duration (in the absence of other conditions that could mimic this such as dehydration). In POTS, the heart rate increases 30 beats per minute (or exceeds 120 beats per minute) within the first 10 minutes of standing.

This is a bit confusing to me. I'm under the impression a 30bpm increase upon standing is relatively normal, especially for people that are obese, elderly or out of shape. Is she talking about an exponential increase of literally, 30 beats per (each) minute?

Update: Hm, well my heart rate in a reclined position in bed was 57. After standing up I checked it 3 times. 77, then 93, then 111, then 91, then I need to lay down - haha. So, that's a 20, 36, 54 bpm increases respectively. I'll have to mention this to my doctor and bring the POTS article as a reference.

Normal Results

For resting heart rate:

• Newborns (0 - 3 months old): 100 - 150 beats per minute
  • Infants (3 - 6 months old): 90 - 120 beats per minute
  • Infants (6 - 12 months old): 80 - 120 beats per minute
  • Children 1 - 10 years: 70 - 130 beats per minute
  • Children over 10 and adults (including seniors): 60 - 100 beats per minute
  • Well-trained athletes: 40 - 60 beats per minute

The more I read the more I think that the whole heart rate issue needs to be clearly understood by Dr's which I feel at the moment many Dr's do not think further that the numbers. According to this chart I am athletic that is a laugh lol

I can't say for everyone, but I did try this with my husband. His only went up about 10 bpm and then after a minute or less, settled right back down to where it was when he was sitting; right around 70 bpm. I can easily compare this to mine where, on a good day, it only goes up 40-50 bpm. On a more symptomatic day, it will go up 60 bpm or more.

On the day of my TTT, I never reached 120 (it was a good day for me plus they gave me IV fluids first) but did go from 60 to 110. The doctor giving me the TTT claimed that was normal but my Cardio said that was highly diagnostic for POTS. From what I've seen, unless doctors are already familiar with POTS, they do not understand the criteria. I am lucky that my Cardio has quite a bit of experience in POTS....totally lucked out on that one!

If I understand correctly (which of course, I may not...) the issue is not the increase, but the sustained increase. I know that my dr. insisted on only checking my standing hr once I had been standing for 4 minutes. It's not the inital jump, but that it stays that way for a while.

I will try to see where I read this and will edit my post if I find it.

the issue is not the increase, but the sustained increase

abbyw from what I have read you are definitely right it is the sustained increase one of 30 beats or more from supine to standing. Many Dr.'s are still fixed on the HR must be over 120 bpm which is why the many get that look when you say you feel bad but you HR is under that magic 120bpm rate.

Katybug

I could not help but post that chart because I am sure many of us here have been told you are fine your HR is very good nothing to worry about lol.