Chronic Nausea

Darlene

My son's main symptom is nausea. The doctors have told me it is one of the hardest symptoms to treat because it can be caused by many things. It can be neurological or gastrointestinal. We are still on our search for something to alleviate or reduce his nausea. My son eats through it though. He will eat laying down,etc.. I know he doesn't get enough fluids as well. He did the IV Saline and it helped a little, but was a major pain to try to maintain as a treatment.

My g.I. symptoms are very mild (although not completely gone) as long as my migraines are under control. It is actually Depakote, an anti-convusant, that we use off-label for my migraines that also gained control of all of my GI symptoms (which included every GI symptom you can have and they were severe. ) That led to a dx of abdominal migraine.

I don't think I haven't been nauseous for two years. It's my worst symptom too. I can't go to school or drink enough either because of it. My doctor isn't positive but he thinks mine is due to blood pooling in the stomach.

I've been nauseous for 4 years and nothing helps. I've tried antiemetics, eating, not eating, home remedies. All fail. I have severe reflux also so I think that contributes to mine. I think this is one of the worst feelings, I'd rather have constant pain. There's many causes and it's a chore trying to figure it out.

I've been nauseous for over a year now. I've lost over 50 pounds and almost all of it was in less than 6 months. I could stand to lose the weight but I'm starting to get too thin now.

I'm sorry you live with it too.

I guess the standard problem is that treatment can be different for so many of us.

Edited by corina

My nausea has mostly gone down to pre-POTS baseline, though arguably that's not normal either and was probably the earliest sign of autonomic issues (baseline = severe nausea ~1x/week, other milder episodes every few days that respond to eating goldfish and dramamine). I'm not sure why - part of it is probably less blood pooling in my legs (exercise helped with that, though it doesn't help everyone, and I'm wearing stockings again because of the vasodilating effects of clonidine and more frequent albuterol use) and therefore my abdomen, maybe? Also adding clonidine and/or methylphenidate (Ritalin) may have helped, though I'm really not sure. The Ritalin does kill my appetite during the day, so I tend to eat stuff that's easier on me anyways (soups, smoothies, plain carbs), which might be part of the issue.

Full after three bites sounds familiar... have you been tested for gastroparesis?

I have gastroparesis. Sounds like something many are having here. Stomach does not empty very well. Lots of nausea, full after a few bites or no appetitie at all. Lots of pain. I am down 70 pounds. Good thing I was overweight or I would be on a feeding tube by now. It is horrible and I have found it to be something others that have dysauotnomia to have. My dr.'s think that my dysauotnomia, gastropareis and other problems are all related to one another due to the autonomic system failing.

Just an FYI= if a doctor prescribes you EMEND for your nausea, prepare for your insurance company to deny it. We were given a prescription for Emend from the mast cell doctor to try for the nausea. The doctor said it works differently than the other anti nausea meds. The cost was $4600 for 60 pills(30 day supply). CRAZY! Needless to say, the insurance company said NO.

Just an FYI= if a doctor prescribes you EMEND for your nausea, prepare for your insurance company to deny it. We were given a prescription for Emend from the mast cell doctor to try for the nausea. The doctor said it works differently than the other anti nausea meds. The cost was $4600 for 60 pills(30 day supply). CRAZY! Needless to say, the insurance company said NO.

WOW. That is CRAZY! Enough to make you nauseous!

I have ME/CFS, autonomic and peripheral neuropathy. I get nausea every morning for hours on end. It's worse than severe pain. I take peptac peppermint to take the edge off it. I think it's a combination of factors, mainly of the gut and changes in BP. I drink as much fluid as I can and as I put on 5 stones with the meds, I haven't lost any weight and I try and eat even in small amounts.

I hope it eases...mine has got worse since on the beta-blockers.