Did Midodrine Work For You?

khaarina

My doctor diagnosed me with NMS yesterday and I will be starting Midodrine today. I am a little apprehensive about it because I have tried so many drugs that failed me. I would be very interested to hear about your experiences (both good and bad) with trying Midodrine. I am wondering about side affects, how quickly it takes affect, which symptoms improved and which didn't, etc.

I've been on it for nearly 3 years. It's been very helpful. Initially I had a lot of side effects but now the only one I really notice is the scalp itching an hour or two after I take it. If I take too high of a dose, it's very agitating to my nervous system, but at the "right" dose (for me) it's been great. It made a pretty substantial improvement in my symptoms within a fairly short time, although I can't remember exactly how long it took at this point. It wasn't a cure but it was certainly a good step forward on the path to getting better when I was first diagnosed and continues to be an important part of my med regimen.

Good Luck!

Midodrine is my friend! I have a life back because of it. It helps my vasculature not be so floppy - it raises my very low blood pressure - helps me think better - lifts the "brain fog" - and improves my overall "well-being". The only side-effect I have is the very common scalp tingling. Occasionally, my BP will get a little too high and I'll hear a "throbbing" in my ears but, that is pretty rare.

Thanks for your comments. I have some interesting (and exciting) results to report from my first day on Midodrine. Within about 30 minutes of taking it, my head felt like a plasma ball--you know those glass balls with the lightning looking stuff inside that follows your finger when you touch it? Literally, the tingling followed my finger when I touched my head! It felt really bizarre but it was no big deal. In fact, I kind of liked it because it told me that the medicine was working in my system. The other side effects were a dull achiness in my chest and goosebumps all over that came and went, but all that pales in comparison to the benefit I've already noticed. First of all, my headaches disappeared. I hadn't realized how often they occurred until they were gone. Second, my hands and feet visibly shrunk (I could make a proper fist!) and I no longer felt like a big overfilled water balloon. And third, I had tons more energy and tolerance to standing and walking. I went with my husband to the grocery store and I got through the whole thing without having to find a bench and sit down. When we were finished, I wasn't lightheaded, drenched in sweat, or short of breath for the first time in a year! I'm definitely not 100% but the difference is amazing. I only wish I could take it at night too, but the doctor said I would get high blood pressure if I lay down while on it. So, I guess the next step is to figure out how to deal with this insomnia.

I ADORED the positive effects of midodrine. i was completely devastated when it elevated my BP to dangerous levels and caused really bad urinary retention. My doctor made me go off it. I still think of it and wish I could feel that way again. It made me feel 'normal'. Was a beautiful beautiful thing, while it lasted!

Glad you are having a good time of it!