To florinef or not to florinef?

A lot of people here seem to indicate that florinef made them feel worse rather than better? According to my doctor, most people improve on florinef, but when i tried licorice tea i had a week of nightly migraines. Do you think that florinef would be the same for me?

Or should a betablocker help with the negative sideeffects?

I was one of the people that did not do well on florinef...but I also know some people that take it and it has helped tremendously.

I think unless you try it you wont know which catagory you fit into.... Could you start with a very small dose? I started with 1/4 tablet every other day......

I took florinef for about a year. I started with one pill, went up to two pills. It did help me a great deal with my symptoms. I did have some side effects. When I took it at night I had trouble falling asleep. I switched to the mornings, and sometimes I would have mild nausea and also got headaches. I was on (and am still on) a beta blocker, and it does not help with the side effects. But all in all the side effects of florinef were pretty bearable. I eventually went off of it because my blood pressure started to get too high. It took me several attempts to get off of it, and that was the worst part, just awful. Luckily, I am now able to keep up my BP with just salt and compression hose. If you are able to do this, then I would not try florinef. But if these aren't enough to keep up your BP, florinef might be very effective.

-Rita

No, it doesn't work for most people, but when it does work, it's a great thing. Florinef was my miracle for many years--it doesn't work for me any more--but I wish it did!!!

Nina

I take Florinef. I haven't found that it has caused any side effects in me but I take a very low dosage. It does help with my blood pressure and helps me to feel better standing.

It's not a drug that I'm thrilled about taking because of possible side effects but I'm not thrilled about taking any pills.

I can tell you that most doctors expect you to at least give things a try that they prescribe. That is there way of helping you. Mine gets really pissed if I refuse to try something. He doesn't want to hear me complain if I won't try the limited tricks (medications) that he has for POTS patients.

I had bad experiences with Florinef. My doctor in the hospital started me on 2 full tablets and I became so much worse but he said give it 2 months to let your body adjust. This is the worst advice I have ever gotten, but at the time I still believed doctors knew best. My bp would shoot well into what they called the stroke zone and then hours later bottom out....it was a nightmare but incredibly, I stuck it out for the 2 months. When he finally agreed we should try reducing the dose I began to improve. Over the 3 years I took it I reduced the dosage to 1/4 a pill a day which I could tolerate and it did help some with sodium retention. The nicest surprise came 3 weeks after I stopped it completely. My body completley relaxed and I no longer have that 24 hour a day wired feeling or sense of dread.

The lesson I learned is that while it is good to take meds that may help, trust your own judgment about dosage (I ask for children's dose) and trust yourself on whether the drug is more harmful than helpful. You are in the best position to know how it is/isn't working.

good luck with your decision.

Florinef works wonders for me. I can not get out of bed with out it. I have been taking it for 4 years now at the lowest dose. On really bad days, I take one and a half pills and sometimes still fall into potsholes, but I function 100% better on it. I wonder if its effectiveness has anything to do with what caused a person's pots....