Deciphering Blood Work Lab Results- Please Help!

westernmass

Hello,

I'm looking through some reports of labs I had done back in August. I have some questions I hope some of our medically-inclined people can help translate.

There is a list under "test name" and it starts with "CBC". Under that test there are a bunch of things, WBC, RBC, MCH etc and one, "MPV" is indicated as a high level (11.5)-- does anyone know what this means??

Question two. Blood test under the title "diff auto", my "EOS" level is high at 6%. Translation?

Question 3, my folate level was high at 21.4 ng/ml, vitamin d and b12 were borderline low-- any idea what that indicates?

My TSH was also back up to 2.5 which is subclinical hypothyroid- I have a positive ANA as well.

Anyway, most of this (all of it except the thyroid and ANA stuff) I have no idea what it means or indicates and if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it!

MPV: "Normal platelet counts range from 150,000 to 350,000, and a normal MPV is in the 7.5 to 11.5 range. Anything below 7 or over 12 is cause for concern."

Source: http://www.ehow.com/...st-results.html

EOC (Eosinophil count) - 6% (high normal?)

Source: http://ph.answers.ya...24185509AAYYF8q

Another source citing 2 - 8% as normal:

http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/nutrition/nutri_normalvalue.html

However I found another source, that says 1 - 4% is normal.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/hemeonc/lab/EsnphlCnt.htm

Question 3: Vitamin D level is low in a lot of people. Now that we're in winter months, there's less UVB rays from the sun hitting your skin to make it. You could lay outside naked all day and still not get enough UVB rays to make enough Vitamin D. You can take a supplement to help but it takes a very long time and high dosages to get Vitamin D via an oral supplement.

I really have no idea - that's something you'd want to ask your doctor. From those sources it sounds like your levels are on the high side of normal. Have you had blood tests in the past to reference so you can compare? I've been to the ER 3 times since July and my levels for things would fluctuate. One day my potassium levels were low, then 2 days later it was back up to normal. Either way, I started eating bananas. Not because they're potassium rich, but because they're delicious and I like bananas :D

MPV - Mean Platelet Volume. High levels, according to the source I cited, could suggest high blood pressure or another heart condition.

Read this article for info on Eosinophil:

http://www.medfriendly.com/eosinophil.html

Hi, your folate, thyroid, ana and b12 jumped out to me.

A high ana and tsh can be a sign that you have hashimoto thyroiditis. Have they tested your thyroid antibodies yet? I have this and my tsh was in the normal range, but I've had symptoms of hyper and hypo thyroid for years. A rheumy testing me for autoimmune disease checked my tpo/abs and low and behold I have hashimoto. I've since learned ana can be positive when you have this. So if you have thyroid symptoms you might want to ask your doc about this.

High folate and low b12 can point to a genetic gene defect called MTHFR. It means the enzyme the gene uses to convert folic acid has been switched and it can not process the common folic acid. B12 is in the same pathway. If you also have elevated homocystene, it is very likely that you should be tested for this gene. It is also associated with other medical conditions.

The treatment for it is to take the active forms of folate and b12 called the methyl form, ie methlyfolate and methlyb12

BTW it is very easy to find the answers to all the question you've asked about lab results by going to a website like lab tests online, I google my labs all the time.

There is a list under "test name" and it starts with "CBC". Under that test there are a bunch of things, WBC, RBC, MCH etc and one, "MPV" is indicated as a high level (11.5)-- does anyone know what this means?

CBC stands for 'complete blood count'. As other people said MPV is 'mean platelet volume' or the average size of the platelets. Yours is barely high. If your platelet count is normal and you don't have any clotting problems, it's probably just a fluke. Of course, if you are worried, talk to your doctor.

Question two. Blood test under the title "diff auto", my "EOS" level is high at 6%. Translation?

Less than 5% of your white blood cells should be eosinophils. When this level is elevated it indicates an allergic process or a parasitic infection. In the US it is usually an allergic problem.

Question 3, my folate level was high at 21.4 ng/ml, vitamin d and b12 were borderline low-- any idea what that indicates?

Could be lots of things, talk to your doctor.