Dysautonomia And Anesthesia

E Soskis

I know I have read about the administration of anesthesia to people with autonomic dysfunction - I can't seem to locate the references on the subject. Does anyone have a reference for an anesthesia journal or medical journal? - I have a friend who is a nurse anesthetist and is requesting information on the subject - he would like to present a talk to his anesthesia group on the subject since most anesthetists and anesthesiologists are not "up" on the topic....

Thanks so much!

Chapter 140 in "Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System". 3rd Ed, Robertson, David et al; Nov, 2011 is entitled, "Anesthetic Management in Autonomic Disorders". This is probably one of the most up to date medical texts on the subject. Couple of key points:

Anesthesiologists need to understand the ANS before treating pts w ANS disorders

Major goal- maintaining cardiac homeostasis

3 major risk factors for pts w autonomic disorder:

- vasovagal reflex

- unexplained intraoperative hypotension

- unexpected cardiac collapse

Postoperative hypotension is a concern

I bought the kindle version of this book and it has been incredibly helpful as a reference.

Thank you all so much - I appreciate the resources

I'll pass them along......

After having 5 surgeries last year, I can definitely say I'd rather not undergo anesthesia again.....but, at least the anesthesia group here in town is interested in learning more about autonomic dysfunction........