My First Tilt Table Test Tomorrow, Any Tips?

khaarina

I just got a call this afternoon from the hospital telling me that my Cardiologist scheduled a tilt table test for me tomorrow afternoon. Well good thing I'm free tomorrow! They probably assume I don't have much of a life given my current orthostatic situation lol. Anyway, I am so nervous! I usually start to pass out around 7-10 minutes so I'm hoping they'll let me down as soon as that happens, but what if I never pass out and they leave me up there feeling like death for a half hour or more! Or worse, what if I'm having a good day and nothing significant happens? I'm on Florinef now, I hope that doesn't screw up the test. Honestly, I'd rather have another colonoscopy than take this test, but I know it needs to be done. I'm sure you all can relate lol. Does anyone have any advice for surviving this miserable test? :unsure:

Wear cushioned shoes and clothes that show your legs like shorts or capris, and ask them to note any change in color of your legs. I would call the hospital scheduling this an make sure which medications you can and can't be on when doing the test. Reschedule if there is an issue there. I wouldn't want to do it again because they made a mistake. Also you can google lab tests and tilt table and you should find a lab site that explains the test, if you want a formal description on how to prepare.

If you collapse as fast as you say, then your test may not be that long. Hope it goes well.

I'm most likely going to have a TTT done within the next couple weeks, too. I'm right there with you with the "What if I'm having a good day?" scenario. It seems like every time I'm at the doctor, I'm having a good day!

That's how it was with me whenever I got sick as a kid. Drove my mom crazy. Not so for me now though. Between the doctor jitters, the drive (45 min. on a good traffic day), and the wait (20 min. sitting in the waiting room and 10 min. in the exam room), by the time my doc sees me I'm a sweaty, tachy mess. He probably thinks I'm an idiot because I have so much brain fog when I talk to him I can't seem to string a complete thought together. Sometimes I want to say, "I'm an intelligent person in real life, I promise!"

I'm most likely going to have a TTT done within the next couple weeks, too. I'm right there with you with the "What if I'm having a good day?" scenario. It seems like every time I'm at the doctor, I'm having a good day!

That's how it was with me whenever I got sick as a kid. Drove my mom crazy. Not so for me now though. Between the doctor jitters, the drive (45 min. on a good traffic day), and the wait (20 min. sitting in the waiting room and 10 min. in the exam room), by the time my doc sees me I'm a sweaty, tachy mess. He probably thinks I'm an idiot because I have so much brain fog when I talk to him I can't seem to string a complete thought together. Sometimes I want to say, "I'm an intelligent person in real life, I promise!"

I can understand that. I go over what I want to say to my doctor over and over in my head then when I finally get there it's like "Ummm... I don't feel good?". So now I just print out a well thought 1 or 2 page summary of what's going on, and hand him that!

I know you're dreading the test but you could feel presyncopal tomorrow without the tilt table anyway. So, my suggestion for getting through it to focus on all the information you can get from this test. It is well worth feeling bad for 45 mins. I was told to stop my florinef and beta blocker 5 days before my 2nd test (wasn't on them before the first), so you may want to verify that before doing the test tomorrow. I wish you a successful test!

Make sure someone can drive you home! Take change of clothes too.... I underestimated the TTT and ended up flat-lining (don't panic, this is apparently rare) but my point is that you are going to feel like poop... you will probably pass out (standing strapped to the table is much worse than normal standing because you can't shift your weight). Don't worry about it, your body will do what it does when you have been backed into a corner (or strapped to the table!) Just try to relax and don't fight it. Let us know how you got on.

May the force be with you!!!

R

I've had two tilts. I think I was so anxious for a further diagnosis that I didn't mind them at all. The two worst parts:

- IV insert

- having the docs performing the tests (not my docs- both total strangers who didn't know how much I knew talking to me afterwards. One was condescending and In both cases I left with unanswered questions that were later answered when I reviewed the actual min by min change in vitals.)

I blacked out on #1 at about 5 mins with a brief astoyle and greyed out at 9 mins on the next with elevated NE. Both were stopped immediately.

Id ask if they can draw your serum catecholemines Supine vs upright on tilt. This is helpful for further diagnosing the subtype if you happen to have the hyperadrenergic form of POTS. I'd suggest being ready to talk w the techs about how younger feeling exactly moment by moment. This helps them assess what is going on and is often recorded in the report. I agree to have help driving home and make sure you get a copy of the results for your files.

For me yes they were given right when we were done, but I think some make you come for a follow up. Bring a snack and water for afterwards if you are fasting before hand because I felt so bad after and really needed it! Don't worry though it really feels just like a bad potsy day but you have doctors and nurses monitoring you. I hope it goes well and helps you get some answers!

Well, I'm back from the test. It was pretty horrible, but that is a good thing I think. The doc hasn't gone over the results with me yet, but the nurse told me some stuff. My heart rate jumped up by about 40bpm while upright. I was up there for a pretty long time with just my typical symptoms: shaky, tingly hands, sweaty, tired. I've been on Florinef and Atenolol for awhile now and I suspect that's why I didn't get all fainty as quickly as I used to. They finally injected me with the medication to get things going and it definitely got things going. I passed out within a couple of minutes. I think this was the first time I have ever actually passed out. I always lie down when I get close, but the mean ole nurse wouldn't let me and believe me, towards the end I was begging. Passing out is the worst feeling ever. But I guess most of you already know that lol. Anyway, I woke up choking on my own vomit. I know, gross. Waking up was pretty confusing and scary. For the first minute or so I thought I was at home and I had dreamt the whole thing. I remember looking at my feet and wondering why I looked like a mummy all wrapped up in that cheap white hospital blanket instead of my blue comforter and then the nurse was right in my face with a scared look on her face which kind of freaked me out. I was extremely nauseous for the next half hour or so. They gave me some juice and graham crackers and that helped quite a bit. The nurse told me that after they gave me the medicine my heart rate suddenly dropped from around 115 to 40 and that's when I passed out. She seemed pretty surprised by this, but we'll see what the doctor says about it. She said that other than that my body responded pretty much the way my doctor thought it would, so I guess that means the test was positive. She was happy to let me know that I definitely don't have to worry about people not believing that I'm really sick or thinking I'm crazy anymore. The test was awful and gross and I am still a little dizzy and nauseous and I have a headache, but I'd do it all again if it meant finally getting the right diagnosis. So that's what happened. A miserable experience but hopefully it will have been well worth it.

No, they just said not to take the Atenolol this morning. I wish I had stopped the meds because I think I would have passed out more quickly, but I don't think it will affect the results too much. I know that my hr went up, there was a long pause in my heartrate, and it dropped suddenly and I passed out. Also my blood pressure didn't change too much, I think that is significant. The doctor couldn't discuss the results today because he had another tilt test right after mine, but that's okay, I'll call him tomorrow.

this might be a stupid question but as someone who has POTS without syncope, and i'm not too familiar with TTT-- do they do it until you pass out? because i've never passed out from it and really dont want to during the test... that sounds pretty unhippocratic to put patients in a situation like that.

Based upon what I've read about other tilt table tests, my experience was a bit on the extreme side. I think it just depends on the doctor overseeing the test and how your body responds. Since I was already being treated with Florinef I didn't start to pass out as quickly as I usually do. My test certainly wasn't fun, but had my doctor ended the test at ten minutes and not injected me with the medicine, we wouldn't know what happens when I start to pass out. I really wanted to know what happens because every time I did a home standing test my bp monitor would err out when I'd start to pass out. The test was not fun at all but it was worth it to get that information. Try not to worry too much. Even if you do pass out, once it's done, it's done. And it is such a good feeling to know that finally the right test was done and the the right path of diagnosis and treatment is finally ahead of you. Good luck!