Are You Able To Drive?

misstraci

i'm kinda like you Rich, not a fainter but I used to pull over all the time too as others said. when I drove to work and back, and at traffic lites I would take my vitals cuz I felt like I couldn't breath/forgetting to breathe, I stopped doing that. I avoid driving at all costs cuz it kinda terrifies me however when I do know I have to I up my klonopin (not beyond dr's rx - i am prescribed up to 2mg a day and am only touching 1mg at this point unless I drive....This is only to default my adrenal issue and make me feel calmer.) also, i try very hard not to monitor my vitals at these times cuz it most often scares me more.

I drive short distances depending on the day. Im very lucky that I live within 1/2 mile of both my kids schools. I hate how I have to even carefully plan out a trip to the grocery store to pick up milk. My husband would do all the shopping but sometimes I just want to feel normal and instead of calling him to pick up a few groceries, actually get out and do it myself. Driving is not the bad part for me, it is standing in line at the checkout. I will drive 3 miles to the friendly small grocery store that charges more because I never have to wait in line (they are nice enough if I called ahead to have a few items waiting at the front) over the closer big box grocery store where they have 2 registers open and big lines.

I used to drive 650 miles in one day just to take my son to a 30 minute dr appoinment. In the last 3 years the furthest I have driven is 8 miles and it was to a bunch of garage sales in neighborhoods where I know people in case I didnt feel well.

I totally agree about traffic lights. the only long traffic light on the way to the grocery store is 2:28 cycle(yes I times it because I have had huge aderline surges at that light many times). Ironically the light is in front of the local Social Security Office. I have had to pull in the parking lot shaking on more then one occassion. I had my pulse-oximeter with me and I rarely use these days but at that light I tried it and my pulse went from mid 80's to 160's when the light turned red. My house is about 3 minutes away and it took a good 40-45 mainutes to get my heart rate back down and the shivers/shaking away. There are no stoplights south or east of me and I can drive through those neighborhoods without issue.

I can drive, but generally the longer I have to drive for, the more it wipes me out. Must be all the effort of concentrating.

I do have to drive daily, and lengths vary from 5 mins around the corner to 30 min drives. When I am not in a flare (I had 2 years of good health between my last crash and this current one), I could drive for hours to anywhere and not have a prob.

Driving was only a problem at the start of my flare...I was bedridden for a few weeks and I didn't do anything. I am a fainter but not when I'm seated. I only had pre-psyncope in sitting but sip water aggressively or pull over if I felt it while driving. Driving was a little bit of re-education for me. It pushed me to hear noise and see light, re-learn to not over grip the steering wheel and breathe. I have a 45 min commute to work and I think it helped with my re-train.

I had to stop driving the first couple of years with this illness. I am a fainter. Then things got a bit better, so I started very small outings-less than 5 miles from home. Unfortunately I did pass out driving once. Thank goodness no one around. I don't think I could have lived with myself if I hurt someone. So now it's stay at home, or wait for someone to take me. Even though I am tempted sometimes, all I have to do is remember back to that day, and temptation no more! Also when I went before the disability judge to get my Medicare, he ask me about driving, and said knowing that I have this illness, if I were to cause an accident, I could go to jail. Well that really put an end to it.

My first "episode" was while I was driving, 3+ years ago. I probably didn't drive for the first year. Since then, I have begun to start driving, but I only go when absolutely necessary. My wonderful hubby does the shopping, etc. Recently I have started driving more often out of neccessity: taking daughter to college, taking kids to co-op, taking daughter to volunteering. I don't neccessarily like it, but it has to be done, so I do it. On days when I'm really bad, hubby comes home from work and does it for me. My daughter does a lot of driving as now she is of age. At the beginning, this was my worst problem, but now I seem to manage with a lot of positive self talk and prayer.

I haven't driven in weeks!

When my POTS began two years ago I know that I went at least 6 weeks w/out driving. When all my symptoms suddenly went away I began to drive again.

Now this time around, it's been since December since my onset of symptoms again. I have terrible anxiety about driving because I am so afraid that I will begin to feel bad and I just can't bring myself to do it. So there are some days that I think I could drive (yesterday being one) but I just chicken out. However, there are other days that I know I am not well enough to drive for sure!

It makes me so sad and makes me feel like a burden. It has begun to be an issue that i can no longer hide from friends. I pray I can get over this and drive again. My family needs for me too! :(

I didn't drive for about eight months last year, but gradually started before Christmas. Medication has helped me to be able to make the 20 mile drive each way to and from work. I don't faint, but do have weird episodes from the sun. I am learning how to avoid and work through the episodes to make it a little easier.

• 1 year later...

I can't drive since 16 months now... Makes me very sad at times, as I really lost so much with it (was driving on all 5 continents throughout my life).

I tried a short drive about 4 months ago, but realised I had started to shiver even before I started the engine - no wonder, I had to walk to the car before that. This condition really *****!!!

I am not a fainter. I have, but I am not. If that makes any sense. Pre syncope is common.

I am unable to drive now. Concerning dizziness etc., sitting is as bad (or worse) than standing. I could go short distances during my better spells, but it is best that I do not push it.

My original reply was "I drive", but since then my drivers license was forcibly taken from me. I really feel that I can drive, but I would need to provide proof to the state that I am totally cured before they would think about giving me my license back. It is really depressing to me, because I used to travel so much before. I haven't left the house to do anything fun in a year. I just spend all my time siting in my room now.

I went for a while unable to drive, and was upset with the doctor for putting it in his notes. I am able to drive now, but like always, I pull over and wait out an episode rather than drive through it. Also, I have two of my teens now driving or with me if I feel like I may need a different driver. Having 9 children at a home in the country, though, I don't have much of a choice but to drive.

I can drive when I choose to. I have never fainted although I've come close several times. It's more the fear of POTS symptoms that keeps me close to home. Nothing I hate more than being in a store and getting that head rush/panicky feeling and knowing I have to get back to the car and get myself back home feeling so horrid. Luckily we live in town and I never have to drive more than 5 or 10 minutes in any direction. I haven't driven outside of the city limits for a few years.

rgny, you are so right about the psychological aspects you are bringing up! Deep inside I know that I could drive.

I have had Dysautonomia /POTS at least since 2009/2010. However, till I finally got my diagnosis last summer, I was always told that all my symptoms are only in my head. And thus, when I had another "potsy spell" while I was driving, I simply pushed through - if it is just in my head, it's not dangerous and no reason to be afraid, nothing can happen.

Since I got my official pots diagnosis, I am much more careful - and stopped driving. Call me anxious, call me irrational. I simply don't dare to drive again at the moment...

I still drive, but I keep very close tabs on my body. If anything's not right or even think I might have any issue, I delay the trip. I view it no different than any normal person. People shouldn't drive if tired or impaired. Same goes for me. I also get feedback from my car -- its controls are very heavy so I can feel how much strength I have.

Wow, thanks everyone for all the replies.. I think we can make a unanimous decision that this condition stinks! I'm sorry that so many of us are unable to drive but I'm happy for the those who still do have a bit of independence. That's the biggest hang up I continue to have with the no driving (I haven't driven in several years now) is that I feel so dependant on others. No one ever says negative things towards me about it but I'm sure I can be a "problem" at times. When schedules clash, etc. I unknowingly had let my drivers license expire (never using it, not looking at it, haha) well, I finally got it renewed and I've had a lot better days and really have the urge to try driving again but now my car has sat up so long; 1. it's dead from battery/starter 2. moisture got in and its' full of mold. I'm not certain I COULD drive but I definitely want to TRY!! An issue besides feeling lightheaded I used to have and still do as a passenger is possibly my eyes and the lines coming towards me. I get a really weird sensation with the motion, lines, things passing by, etc.

• 2 weeks later...