Are You Able To Drive?

misstraci

I was trying to start a poll for this, I think it's easier to see and compare that way, but for some reason I can't get it to work.

My question is: Are you able to drive? yes or no

If no, how long have you been unable?

Have you been unable in the past and then started back up again?

Thanks

I haven't been able to drive for over 10 years. When I started octreotide I improved and started driving again. It's like biking, once you're able to you never forget (but I'm from The Netherlands and we all bike not sure about you all over there in the US :))

When the octreotide isn't made properly it doesn't work and I can't drive (nor do anything else).

I'm running out of time now but will help you doing a poll later!

Thanks guys for your response. No problem Corina, we can do a poll later. Cool about the Netherlands and riding bikes. I wish I could. I would get exercise plus get to where I need to be. My job is like 22miles from my home so, it's doable I suppose but not realistic for my situation.

Thank you.

I can if I have to. I don't like to since the sun instantly triggers a migraine and I get bad motion sickness. I bring the kids to school but that's 3 blocks away. I haven't driven much since I've been sick so 4 years. We used to take random road trips through the country for a change of scenery, I miss that.

Yes - I drive - sometimes shouldn't but, I'm the only one in the household that can drive - my elderly mother depends upon me to run all the errands, take her places, and do the shopping. It's real hard when I feel awful - I just don't have a choice. People say they will help but, all have had something else to do when I have really needed assistance - so, guess I'll just keep on driving.......

I have a wonderful hubby and kids. They have had to share some "tough love" with me this past year as my POTS symptoms have gotten worse and my driving skills are sometimes "scary". So I pretty much leave it up to them to let me know when they think I should be driving. I'm just getting over a major flare-up, so after several months of not driving I'm now driving within a 20 minute radius (so that it's easier to rescue me if I get in over my head). It's so hard to rely on others to do the driving -- and knowing the inconvenience that it causes just kills me -- but I know that this world doesn't need any more reckless drivers on the road. And I'd never forgive myself if anything happened . . .

As soon as my spaciness started back in the spring of 2011 (the first sign of my dysautonomia beginning to be an issue), I stopped driving. I didn't drive on a daily basis anyways - we don't own a car, we get Zipcars - so less of an issue for me. I did drive a few times in September of this year after the methylphenidate (Ritalin) made me much less spacey while sitting down, but always drove with another person, and I couldn't do it for more than about 30-40 minutes at a time. Since starting the clonidine, I'm less spacey, but so sleepy that I fall asleep at my desk sitting up and almost doze off while talking to people, doing stuff at work, etc, so obviously driving is absolutely contraindicated again. This is all self-monitoring; I still have my license, mostly because my doctors trust my judgment.

(folks who can't drive and need to run errands, etc might look into various community transport programs for folks with disabilities - things like Access Transport or whatever your local community has; they can sometimes help you run errands and the like. I walk and take the bus.)

It depends on the day. Some days I can drive and other days I can not. On days where I am really tired, heart rate is up and/or I am lightheaded I no longer attempt to drive. My thought had been I could gut it out and drive, but after several times of my husband having to come get me (for I was forced to pull over some where due to symptoms) I started to listen to my body. I have had POTS 6 years now and I have learned when to not push it. I really miss not being able to just jump in the car and go like I use to...

Lately I have not been able to drive. When my POTS came up, it had some effect on my vision where I lost all depth perception so I became pretty darn clumsy on top of it. The eye doctor is trying to work on glasses to help with that and my Cardio is trying to help on the dizziness so I can get back to driving. It's one of the things that I miss the most and makes me feel the most 'disabled' for lack of a better word.

I do drive, but am not a fainter. I have days where I feel "off." If I am having an "off" day I do not drive...

Except in the very beginning, I have not had too much of a problem driving. (I fainted a few times early on when I first got sick, but I haven't ever since, so I would say I'm not a fainter.) I have had to pull over once or twice in the past because I got a little presyncope going on and felt like I had to wait until it passed to be safe.

Monstrosity, I totally feel your pain with the motorcycles! My husband and I are big into streetbikes and used to ride them out on the racetrack for track days. I have decided against it since getting sick, just because I am fearful of how unsafe it might be for me and the other people on the track. I do have hopes to get back out there someday...just not sure when to go ahead and give it a go again. I do also ride dirt bikes, which I have started again very recently, but I feel like that is easier to stop and take many breaks and if I feel bad I can just stop and chill on a stump or something! lol I would actually be interested to hear if any that have this who can drive have tried motorcycles again....

I couldn't/wouldn't drive for 11 months since the sudden onset of Pots. I always had to have my feet up because of severe blood pooling. Even as a passenger, I was foggy brained, had visual disturbances, had an inability to process information and react quickly, had some sleepiness and some nausea - none of which amounts to a good driver. In my fifth week of starting Florinef (a month ago), I was able to drive because it helped with all of those above mentioned car symptoms. I still only do short drives, when I feel it is completely safe for me to do so (which includes always having water with me and that I've had lots of salt and water before going). If I'm feeling off or if I'm doing an outing that requires some standing (i.e. to a store), I still rely on others to take me.

It definitely is tough to rely on others for everything that we have to when we are sick, but I'm starting to feel like it's ok - I think we are all here on Earth to help each other. Maybe we have had our time to help others, or maybe it will come in the future and in different ways. The people who care about us want to do anything they can to make us feel better and since they can't do that, helping us with the practical things is the next best thing. They, too, will have their time of need someday or maybe they already have and maybe we'll be the ones to help or maybe it will be someone else - either way the cycle continues. That is not to say that I don't feel or haven't felt like a total burden - I have felt it deeply...but, we are doing the best that we can with what we have to work with and even though we may or may not be able to drive or grocery shop or go dancing, most of us have become experts at living in the moment and realizing that health, life and those we love are to be treasured. In my opinion, those are pretty good qualities to have in a friend, mother, father, sister, brother, partner, etc. Now, we just need a cure... ;)

CMReber, No I haven't felt that going back to motorcycles would be good for me. My hubby and I love our now "antique" road bike (we bought it new) - but, I just haven't felt that with my dizziness and motion sick issues getting on it would be a good thing. I ride in tandem with him (or used to) and leaning the wrong way could be a BIG disaster. So, I haven't been on the bike for quit a long time. Really sad! But, I have some really good memories.

AllAboutPeace, I appreciate the sentiment and depth that you express. It's true that we all need someone and hopefully - the ones we need - need us in return. We may be limited in what we can do ----but we are all valuable. We are someones "special" person - despite our limitations. We have to keep reminding ourselves of this. Especially when we hit a spot of disparity and get really tired of "dealing - with all of THIS". Some day, because of our experiences in life - maybe some certain thing we say will be just what another person needed to hear. It will be just the thing to keep that person - going --despite it all. I think life experience - can sometimes be very hard and cruel. But, we can look for some sort of lesson - even in those things. It requires these types of experiences to allow a person to truly have "empathy". Empathy goes far beyond sympathy - it truly is a feeling of someone else's pain and you have to have life experience to be able to do that.

Issie

I drive but not far from my house and not on "bad" days at all. My limit is about 4 miles from home. That distance also happens to keep me within about 4 miles of my mother's house also so that gives me an extra place to stop if I get in trouble. I have had times when I got sick enough that I have taken naps in my car in the parking lot of the grocery store or pharmacy before attempting to drive home. I have also had to call my mom or stepdad and ask them to come get because I had a sudden pre-syncopal episode and knew it was not safe to keep driving. I am lucky in that my pre-syncopal episodes are very long with lots of warning symptoms.

wow, you all are so kind! I like reading your encouraging and kind explanations. Sorry for the hard times that we have all had to deal with. I know we are all here and have our reasons and help others in our own ways. I am thankful for all those who have helped me along the way whether that was through driving me places, taking me to appointments, listening to me, teaching me (you guys), etc. I'm not sure if I've done my part or returned favors but I hope in time that I can.

So, what do you do when someone is frustrated with you and your situation? Meaning on one hand they act like they don't mind helping you and driving you places but then act like it's an inconvenience and they can't wait for you to get better so they can do their own thing?

It depends on the day. A good one I can drive a bad one no driving. At first 8 years ago when I was first diagnosed had a Dr who wanted to take my license away from me but my neurologist stopped her, so glad he did. I was faiting but only when I stood up and I never stood up and drove :lol:

That's a tough one Traci! I got myself a card that allowed me to take a taxi at reduced prices (medically based) so that I wouldn't be dependant on others. I needed to take someone with me to help me, but it made me feel more "in charge" and I found out that people found it easier to come with me while not having to drive themselves.

I found (when I was able to drive briefly) that having someone along was a huge help, especially if that someone could also safely drive. I figured that - unless I was on the highway - I could always pull over (or even stop in the middle of the road as long as nobody was right behind me!) and swap drivers quickly if I was really badly off.

• 3 months later...

I drive, but I have days when I can only drive one mile or else I have breathing problems, other days I have been able to drive an hour, with someone in the car with me. I'm not a fainter but POTS messes up my breathing. When I drive its like my brain forgets to nreath and then my breathing gets harsh, I get anxious and have full on adrenic attack. One. Of these sets me back months in my progress..