Shaving Problems- Mast Cells?

puppylove

I have so much trouble shaving my legs because after they itch and burn so badly i want to scream. I have tried all kinds of shaving gels, lotions, razors etc. nothing helps. I don't really know anything about mast cells but could that be the cause of this? Thanks!

My legs burn badly after shaving also and they never use to, hoping someone can shed some light on that.

I do have MCAS and also problems with shaving. I don't know if they are related as the shaving issues started when I was a teen. I'm now 37. I can only shave with warm water. I wait until the end of my shower so my skin and hair are at least softened by the water. I can not put any lotions on my legs. I have found that I can use natural oils such as coconut, sweet almond, or avocado oils to moisturize but not the same day that I shave because my pores are too open after I shave. I also have found that i can only shave my legs 2 times a week ( not happy about that) or i get folliculitis. As far as my armpits go, I had to try a few deodorants and Dove brand is what I finally found works for me without burning or stinging after shaving.

I've always had this problem too, but I don't know if I have mast cell problems(?)... I have always put it down to my body's difficulty in regulating temperature. If I am in the shower and I shave my legs it has to be at the end of the shower, like Katie. I think this is so that my skin has time to calm down from being goosey. I also make sure there is zero draft in the bathroom because even an extractor fan generates draft which makes my legs go goosebumpy. When my skin is goosey I can shave the top off every follicle and only realise after the fact. I guess this is why lotions and potions aren't happy either. I find leg-shaving and other shower tasks so difficult in general and showers are exhausting. Wouldn't it be fairer if one of our symptoms was an absence of HAIR!!!! I would like the universe to be kinder on this front! In leg-burny empathy....

Oh my- this is something I never even talk about because it seems so small in light of the other biggies. But- so glad to hear I'm not alone. I have really bad itching of my legs too- Dr. Afrin (Mast Cell doc) thinks it is likely related. I have gone to only shaving 2x a week- kinda gross but it is what it is.

Sometimes when I am really symptomatic and my hypersensitivity is out of control I can't tolerate the feel of the razor blade on my skin- feels like it is cutting- even though it is not. That is the worst about shaving. I have had success with using an all natural olive oil soap on my legs before shaving. Not like a cream or lotion but it does seem to help. I also do this sitting w a very short, not too hot shower.

Tell you what's odd. As well as having given up on shaving or epilating my legs years ago, I also find that my legs randomly get itchy in the evenings sometimes, leading to me having to take my trousers off (corduroy, nothing likely to cause irritation) and put on pyjamas.

A lot of people are allergic to nickel and many/most razors have nickel in the blades. My husband is very allergic to regular razors - but, can use a foil electric shaver. His skin is very sensitive on his face - and he can't go to close with that even --but, this was the best solution we found - other then him having a lovely beard for several years.

Issie

Hot water, friction from the razor and water pounding on skin, as well as personal care products used in the shower have all been attributed to mast cell degranulation. As mast cells are triggered and histamine is released this can possibly explain burning and itching, as well as initiating a cascade of mediator release and leading to other symptoms.

I found a dye free, natural face gel, that I use as a shave gel, and use cooler water and sit in the base of the tub, as well as timing of my meds (so I premedicate with antihistamines) prior to showering.

I was wondering about this myself. Just this week noticed pain when shaving. The blade against my legs hurt so bad. I wonder why this happens?

Do any of you notice large, red, itchy bumps after you shave?

This topic has me intriqued b/c I've been getting these bumps, & when I itch them, they welt up quickly.

And I know that we don't have a bug problem in our house.

Plus, I am currently having the worst allergies I've ever had-Zyrtec, Allegra, etc are not helping! I want to claw my eyes out!

Thanks for any help.

I have had this problem for years. only have pots diagnose. But for me it is not always bad, it all depends. But i always need to use sensitive shaving stuff and do it in the end of the shower. And not to often. Once a week or less (my partner is used to my hairy leggs poor thing)

Any of u tryed waxing ? I did it once, whit horible results. But wounder if i shall try again.

In my case, I have severe classical allergies and also MCAD. I am allergic to the world it seems and my allergies actually manifest more in skin rashes and hives and G.I. symptoms than in having what people think of as "allergy symptoms" like a runny nose or itchy eyes. I think all the issues I have with shaving and moisturizing (and I also even now have issues wearing makeup) are from my allergies and MCAD.