Addison's Disease?

Jennij

I feel like it when I am stressed for ANY reason. My body just can't cope with anything out of my comfort zone with zero stresses. But, I do not have Addison's and my cortisol is never low when tested. It has crossed my mind, however, if there isn't something going on with my POTS that doesn't allow me to have enough cortisol in a stressful situation OR that the cortisol I have somehow cannot be utilized correctly(hmmm, maybe an autoimmune issue?? like everything else suspect of POTS)

Sue I feel exaclty the same way I have always thought there is a connection, have lots of symptoms that are the same as Addisons disease I know there is a connection.

So many unanswered questions.

I do not totally understand all there is to know, but.......

I had had a test done in the past called an insulin tolerance test (I think? I cannot remember). It showed that my adrenals respond "below normal to stressors". In the case of the test, the stress was a deliberately decreased blood sugar. The adrenal hormone was supposed to increase more when my blood sugar was decreased.

I tried additional adrenal hormone on a daily basis and it did not help me. Unfortunately, it gave me severe heartburn. So, I do not take any.

I was told though that I probably react poorly (i.e., below normal) with adrenal output when under stress. Under stress can include being sick, needing surgery, being stressed for whatever reason. So, maybe this is a POTsy thing? I have no idea.

I had a referral to an endocrinologist who checked me for this (a bunch of blood work) supposedly there are a lot of overlapping symptoms with POTS. My tests for Addison's came back OK.

Alex

When I was at my worst, I had every symptom of Addison's except the skin changes. Researching those symptoms led me to this group, thank God. I believe there is some connection as well. Looking back, my adrenals were taking a beating. But since conventional doctors only treat disease states, a patient can be very ill while still having supposedly normal test results.

I experience the same thing....in fact I wonder if this is not the reason why my body crashes so severely when I try to stop or taper down the florinef? An article I read said the chemical compound is almost identical to cortisol...definately has to be a co-relation. I have noticed how florinef helps with other symptoms like stomach pain, headaches, and how when I taper I get really moody and irritated and just feel horrible.....mmmmm

I feel like it when I am stressed for ANY reason. My body just can't cope with anything out of my comfort zone with zero stresses. But, I do not have Addison's and my cortisol is never low when tested. It has crossed my mind, however, if there isn't something going on with my POTS that doesn't allow me to have enough cortisol in a stressful situation OR that the cortisol I have somehow cannot be utilized correctly(hmmm, maybe an autoimmune issue?? like everything else suspect of POTS)

I agree that it seems like my body cannot cope with ANYTHING out of the comfort zone. Even the most minor things stress my adrenal system.

• 2 years later...

Hi I have just been diagnosed with Addison's Disease after 12 years of POTS. Endo was not clear about whether I have both. I was tested for this right at the start of my illness and did not have it. I did the Tilt Table Test and fainted, so POTS seemed to be the right diagnosis. So I am thinking that because my stress levels have been sky high for some 10 years and it has taken its toll on my body, so the cortisol production could not cope. the med given to me is a cortisone drug Hysone which combined with my Florinef, makes my body shaky and heart palpitations.

Anyone with a similar story?

Thanks.

Suzanne