12-14 Month Waitlist For Mayo Clinic.

jangle

Jangle:

I don't know which Mayo you are trying to get in to but I know when we took our daughter to the Mayo I was told that if you go to the Arizona Mayo between May and September it is easier to get in to. Apparently the Mayo in Minnesota is easier to get in to during the winter months.

We took our daughter to the Mayo in Arizona last December and it was approx. a 4 month wait at that time.

FYI: we found that the Mayo had great testing facilities but you still need to find a doctor back home to help with follow up unless you plan on travelling back and forth frequently to the Mayo.

Pam

I was able to get my son in quickly by emailing a doctor directly and letting him know what issues he was having and how long it had been going on. The doctor gave me his schedulers phone number and told her to get us in as quickly as possible. We had a two month wait by doing that. Just food for thought.

Christy

Usually the testing isn't a scheduling problem...it's the doctor appt. Call every day and see if they have anything open sooner. They are used to people doing this.

They didn't even book me for an appointment, they just have me on a waitlist in line and what they do is whenever an appt opens up they go down the waitlist.

I do think others here have gotten in right away after applying. It depends on whether Mayo thinks you are "serious"/declining. They told me I was on the "waiting list" too. I would have never gotten an actual appointment except a co-worker's dad worked there and got me in. Dr. Low told me (several years ago, when I went there), that they are only able to ever see 20% of applicants. They are overwhelmed.

I had a good experience at Mayo. If you read through old posts, though, you'll see that many others didn't. It definitely isn't the end all and be all of POTS treatment. I found my proper treatment (SSRIs) from a plain old cardiologist who knows a little about POTS 2-3 years after going to Mayo. Good luck.

Jangle,

That's a good idea - going through EP cardio. That's how my POTS was DX'd . Are you trying to come to AZ Mayo? I can tell you who I saw here.

Issie

And if you're coming to Rochester I can give you some names...

I'm going to Rochester, however I don't know how realistic it is for me to expect to be able to get in sooner by making some calls.

I'm going to Rochester, however I don't know how realistic it is for me to expect to be able to get in sooner by making some calls.

It's a different dept. You've got to know how Mayo works. If you get in and your from out of town - the docs you see will refer you to whomever you need to see while there. They try their best to get you in then while you are there. You might get in to neuro a whole lot faster.

Issie

Start by calling this number 507-538-3270 (general appointment line) and tell them you want to see someone in the 'Heart Rhythm Clinic'. When I first went I think they offered me an appointment in 2 weeks (I couldn't take it and I ended up with one that worked better for my schedule about a month out).

Like Issie said, you have to learn how to play the 'Mayo game' if you want to get seen as fast as possible.