Water Retention

khaarina

Is there any relationship between POTS (or possible causes of POTS) and water retention? I have been having clear signs of pretty extreme water retention: swollen, shiny, itchy skin, deep creases in my skin from clothing especially when I wake up in the morning, belly distention, and weight fluctuation. I am worried that this is a sign that something more urgent is going on with my heart, but my doctor didn't seem to think much of it. I am taking Fludrocortisone (Florinef), but the fluid retention has been going on since before I started taking it. I have also increased my water intake and decreased my salt (a little). Also, if I'm already retaining excess water, doesn't that mean I don't need a blood volume medication like Florinef? I'm so confused.

I only started having a problem with this after starting on florinef. A couple of months after taking 0.2 mg florinef a day I noticed my face, my hands and my feet being quite swollen in the evening as well as upon waking up - I was unable to put on or take off my wedding band, and wearing socks would leave some nasty marks on my ankles. Plus my toes looked like mini wieners. When I decreased the amount of daily florinef to 0.15 mg this stopped being a problem (I still have other issues with florinef, but water retention doesn't seem to be one of them anymore....for now).

You might want to talk to your dr about this. To me it seems to be something different than my story.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

Best of luck.

Alex

I just met someone this past week in the hospital who has suspected POTS and extreme fluid retention. She has slowly gained 80 lbs during the last 3 yrs and is concerned like you there might be something more going on. She became very symptomatic when they gave her saline IV (which is opposite of me) so I wonder about hypervolemia and blood dilution. Dr. Jaeger up at Cleveland Clinic would be a good resource as they do blood volume studies. Have heard of people putting on weight but not quite like this.

• 9 years later...

I have the worst fluid retention (including before I was diagnosed with POtS). It’s the worst and usually is only resolved with the worst watery diarrhea in the history of time. I think my allergies also might have something to do with it as a trigger and being on antihistamines and asthma medicine. Have you been screened or tested for Cushing’s disease or liver/kidney issues? Also try looking up adrenal fatigue. It can lead to water retention