What Effect Would/could Talking During Ttt Have?

westernmass

I wasn't allowed to talk during my TTT, other than while she set up and in between tests - otherwise only at times that the technician would ask me how something felt ("now that the tilt is done, how do you feel? how did you feel over the course of the test?" etc). I assume they worry it would affect blood pressure and heart rate (forced breathing due to speech production, getting animated during a conversation), but I'm really not sure.

both nurses and the dr present during both my ttt were quite clear about keeping conversations to a minimum as talking (and even worse laughing) might interfere with the test results. I was asked to simply report bothersome symptoms to them but nothing else.

Talking can affect both your heart rate as well as your blood pressure. In my case, talking makes my HR go up by at least 15 bpm, while laughing can increase it by as much as 35 bpm - the nurse who "experimented" with me was quite bewildered by my "responses". I don't have similar numbers for my bp, but I know that bp can fluctuate as well while carying a conversation.

Alex

Sad but true Bren, I got used to these HR changes.

They don't bother me as much as they used to a few months ago.

Plus I have only fainted during my 1st TTT. I hit some pretty low numbers with my standing BP but I don't feel lightheaded. Weird...right? But then is there anything about POTS that is not weird?

Alex

During the first part where I was lying down, there was no talking and I was left in the room by myself with dim lighting and no noise. After the tilted me up, the doctor was there and diagnosed me with POTS almost immediately, and the nurse told me to report symptoms, which I did for about 2 minutes (including a shout for help :unsure: ) before I passed out. As I was coming to, there were several nurses around me and they kept asking me to respond. Once I was awake with IV fluids, they discussed the POTS and NMS diagnoses.

I also nearly pass out when I laugh a lot or talk a lot, especially with people I don't know. It's so embarrassing.

I am a bit opposite! I talked almost the whole time. keeping mentally active helps me not pass out. The doctor who was with me during the first one, told me that it was my way to try to keep blood up to my brain. I was very confused and was calling the nurse by the wrong name.

It was silence and a darkened room when they tested me for hyperadenergic tho

I talked with the cardio the whole time. Only time I can actually talk to a doctor for that long a period. I tried to keep the conversation nonstressful and I am sure he did also as I felt stress might cause a HR change in me, but my numbers were so crazy anyway it would not have changed the result if I did meditation or thought someoneone was planning to kill me.