Random Panic Attack?

cmreber

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with POTS about two years ago. It's been a long time since I've been on here, mostly because I've been feeling so good and almost normal lately. (Yay for that!) But I just had the weirdest episode and I was wondering if anyone else on here has had the same thing happen.

I woke up, went downstairs and went to use the restroom. I did notice that my heart was racing, but that isn't unusual for the middle of the night. I laid back down and was close to falling asleep. It was at that point that I became acutely aware of my breathing and suddenly felt like I had to manually do it myself...like make myself breathe in and out. This made me feel like I was breathing, but that the oxygen wasn't doing anything or really reaching my lungs. Which also made my heart start racing like crazy because by that time I was panicking. The strangest thing was that once my heart really started racing, it seemed to feel like my lungs were actually getting the oxygen again and I was able to take deep breaths again, and then my heart rate went back to normal after a few minutes. My hands (mostly my pinky fingers) were numb for awhile afterwards, which I assumed was high blood pressure, but when I checked it, it was basically normal. It's been a couple hours and I feel normal again.

Has this happened to anyone before? It started to happen to me on a recent trip back from Vegas, but didn't escalate quite so far to full fledged panic. I have been bad lately with the caffeine, so I'm wondering if this might have triggered it?

I used to experience short episodes like this. The tingling feeling can be caused by an imbalance of carbon dioxide caused by rapid shallow breathing that typically happens during panic episodes.

For me, I think sometimes noticing my hr was high and then getting somewhat concerned about it could cause a cascade of events that would become something like a panic attack. I am not really sure, but I don't get these episodes myself anymore. I do know how uncomfortable they are!

If these are new symptoms for you, it would be ideal to talk to a dr about them.

Yes, I just had one of these yesterday. It's been awhile for me too. I was driving and had like 3 huge PVCs, my face got all hot and prickly, my fingers were numb. It only lasted a few seconds, but darn it feels yucky. I was having some negative self talk issues prior to this event so I'm positive it was a panic attack, it's frustrating, but now I'm seeing the correlation between my thoughts and my attacks... Makes it easier to understand

I've had about three. The good thing is that they only last for a few minutes at the most. Two times was before my diagnosis, then the third time it was between beta blockers. My heart rate was 126 when I was at home the third time to check it. I know it is scary. I just sat down by myself in a quiet dark room and sipped on a glass of water and started praying, and then immediately called my doctor for another prescription for a beta blocker!!

I had two episodes like this on Saturday. A lot of mine usually has to do with not being diligent with my salt and fluid loading for several days. BUT the two days prior were very emotionally draining and busy and the day of the two episodes I was traveling to visit my family. It was the first time I had been back since my grandmother suddenly passed in the spring. On the drive there I was already in tears and dealing with some leftover grief that was triggered by the drive there. Lots of memories on the way. So usually I can pinpoint a few things that will trigger a panic/potsy attack. I feel your pain. They are so miserable, but I will eat salt and chug a bottle of water and tell myself it usually doesn't last long. Within 25 minutes I'm back to being perfectly normal again.

Thank you everyone for your replies! It is nice to hear that it happens to others--not that I would wish it on anyone or WANT anyone else to feel that way, but I think you know what I mean LOL! ;) (I guess just not to be alone in this)

I'm guessing it was just stress and possibly not enough salt intake/fluids, and too much caffiene on top of that (I usually don't have much at all). I didn't really sleep at all afterwards, but I feel fine today...nothing out of the ordinary, or even really "POTSY" for that matter.

Ashelton80, I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Mine also passed away (the very end of August) and we just spread her ashes this weekend on Sat...so I not only share your pain but also understand that this is a stressful time. I didn't really think that it was still affecting me so badly, but I do tend to hold my emotions inside for too long...which could definitely come out at inopportune times like when I am trying to sleep, etc.

Thank you again and hopefully no more of this for any of us!