Flying

PetuniasMom

I struggled w flying before the Dysautonomia w really bad phobias so I was quite petrified to fly this past summer. In preparation I not only daly and fluid loaded but I got ultras of saline IV first thing in the morn before the flight out and flight home and I took low dose Xanax. I also made arrangements with the airlines in advance to sit in the bulkhead or exit row so I could elevate my feet. I was worried about high Tachycardias, shortness of breath and syncope. I also spoke w the head flight attendants to alert them of my condition.

As it turned out I did pretty well. Stayed in tachycardia for duration of all 4 flights - but mostly low (100-115), very little breathing issues and just my normal dizzy self- no blackouts/ grey outs. I did work diligently to get up and move as much as possible ev.en doing calf raises, squats in back of plane.

My only concerning episode was getting on the last leg home. It was hot, we had just been hustling because of a short layover and then there was a back up on gangway to board the plane. I couldn't stand in line so I had to keep kneeling/sitting to keep from fainting. By the time I boarded my HR was in the 150s- once seated/ feet elevated it came down to lower level.

It made me feel very bad. There was a lot of walking/ running through the airport before hand though. I also didn't know I had POTS then.

Flying wiped me out for a week last time. It was awful. Nausea, dizziness, tachy, etc. I got saline before but it didn't help me (usually doesn't). It was a long flight, though.

I have to fly for work in February and asked doc specifically. He recommended everything people already mentioned except he also insisted I wear waist-high compression hose even though they irritate me. Also, this one is only 1.5 hrs rather than 4+, so I'm hoping it will be better.

I wouldn't be shy about asking for a wheelchair for lines, but do try to move around as much as possible.

Unfortuantely the forum now and then posts double. I'm going to delete the double on this topic and copied and pasted what Potsyturvy wrote here:

Posted Today, 05:25 AM

I spent a year going to school over 1,000 miles away from home so I flew a lot back and forth for breaks and stuff. It was before I got officially diagnosed with POTS. I would get really thirsty, dizzy, lightheaded, and anxious during flights. I would drink about a liter of water per flight (which meant the dreaded trip to the bathroom when I could hardly walk). The minute the plane landed and I got off, I felt better though. I have heard other people say that they experience symptoms for a long time after flights, but I've never experienced that. I don't fly anymore because the actually flight is so miserable though.

I have flown afew times since diagnosis and each time I get Tachacardic, light headed/dizzy, some anxiety and since I'm nurse I took my B/P once and it was low.