Extremely Frustrated

leydengs

I have never had problems losing weight. I've always been very constipated even as a kid. I've had POTS all my life as well which got MUCH worse after having my daughter 3 years ago. Of course every test I've had for my bowels has come back normal. However in my GI series tests it showed that the barium moved great through my stomach to a certain point and then just stopped so I had to go walk more and then they checked it again and still no movement so they made me drink ANOTHER barium drink and same result. So I had to live on laxatives and then the go-lytle drinks because I was so uncomfortable and couldn't pass the barium. I will have bouts of constipation that lasts weeks (yes weeks). All the nurse told me over the phone was that my stomach is just slow and that was it, but from after what I've read it sounds like gastroparesis. I know a lot of you have that as well, do my symptoms sound like it. I'm very much into health and nutrition so I eat very healthy but now I can't eat, if I do it's something really tiny and then I have stomach pains, nausea and reflex afterwards but I'm gaining weight. No matter how much I work out or how well I eat I still gain weight! Help please!!!!!!!!

Our stories are so similar. I'm not sure if I've had pots all my life but my symptoms started when I was pregnant with my daughter 4 years ago and haven't let up since. One of the things I had tested while going through the slew of reflux testing was my thyroid. Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain, constipation, fatigue, and a whole bunch of other symptoms. Oddly enough I gain weight when I don't eat but after about a week of not eating, my weight plummets. When I start eating again, slowly, I start gaining. I've been having a bad week. Everything I eat seems to sit like a rock. Yesterday I had 2 bites of a grilled cheese and was 'full', had pains the rest of the day. Other days I can eat all day. It's bizarre.

I've had my thryroid tested and it always comes back as normal. I'm big into fitness and nutrition so I know how to adjust my meals and workouts to lose weight but no matter what I do I gain. I never stop eating I just eat smaller meals more often. I'm where you are right now, everything I eat sits like a rock even if it's just a protein shake or if it's a chicken breast.

From your pic, you don't look overweight. When you starting gaining, does it level out eventually? One thing that I've found helps when my stomach isn't happy is to go on a clear liquid diet until it calms down. For me, liquids don't sit well, they make my reflux reek havoc but it does help. Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix.

Since that picture I've put on almost 10 lbs and cannot lose anything. If I go town a couple lbs one day I go right back up the next (no matter what I do). I considered trying a detox or doing clear liquids. What kinds of liquids do you use and for how long?

I use anything clear. Broth, water, Gatorade, jello, clear soda, popsicles, coffee, apple juice. I've had the nissen surgery 3 times for reflux so I just followed that diet. After a few days if my stomach has calmed down I start soft bland foods. Sometimes my stomach doesn't like soft foods and I have to go back to liquids. I haven't found a constant trigger for my stomach symptoms. I can eat the same thing at the same time for a week and have different side effects each day. It's definitely frustrating and has made me want to throw my hands up when trying to figure it out.

I talked to the nurse at my doctors office about my test results and I questioned about my stomach digesting so slowly and she said "Yah it says it's slow but still considered normal" UGH! How is constipation for weeks at a time, nausea, reflex, etc normal!!!!

It really makes you wonder!! Honestly I've given up trying to figure out my digestive problems. Every test was normal but my egd showed severe esophageal erosion. I can taste, feel, smell acid. That's not normal. I don't care what any test says. It was my 4th or 5th GI that suspected pots which is how I got my diagnosis. I've been turned away by the local GIs that I've seen, they have no clue what's going on. I asked my current GI if this is related to pots, how is it treated? He said with meds, clearly meds and surgery aren't helping. I have to come to terms that I will always be nauseous 24/7, don't leave the house because I feel like I'll vomit any second and motion makes it worse, that my intestines just don't function, that acid is burning away at my insides. Sorry, self pit party. Ha

What tests have you had done?

Thanks Michelle, I feel much better HAHAHAH :) I'm where you are, I am not going for more tests because they will all say I'm normal and they have no idea what's going on so I'll just try changing up my diet and stuff. I'm going to try a detox to see if getting rid of any toxins helps!!