Sleep Study Showed Alpha Wave Disturbance

Anoj

hi everyone. i got the results of my sleep study . no apnea, barely snored once - but alpha wave disturbance. i need to do some research. my initial results keep showing stuff about fibomyalgia. the dr. said alpha wave disturbance is frequently seen in fibromyalgia. i've never considered that i might have fibro. i don't have pain. however, it would be more likely that i would have chronic fatigue. i don't like that term (either of them, really). i consider them "trashcan terminnology," as one of my doctors said.

i was just wondering if anyone had more info on this phenomenon? supposedly the alpha waves disrupt the deep sleep (delta waves), which means you don't get meaningful sleep. when i told the doc i need 9 hrs or i'm toast, she believed me and said the only treatment for this would be to sleep a lot - as much as my body needs - 9 hrs a night or more.

who has time for that? i work and have a house to take care of, etc.

i'm just curious to what all this could mean.

thanks!

CFS, FMS and POTS are so closely connected. I think if we find an answer for one, we may find an answer for all of them. (Just my opinion.) I have issues with sleep and have been said to have FMS, EDS, POTS and the letters and DX's could continue on for a line. :) But, I also have apenea - both kinds - central and obsturctive. So, getting proper sleep is essential.

Issie

I have sleep apnea and very little REM sleep, and have to sleep 8-10 hours to feel rested even with a Cpap and Klonopin! I even nap on occasion, if I have overdone it.

According to this person, this Alpha wave thing also occurs in CFS. I know what you mean about the trashcan terminology, it's too easy to say CFS since there's no sure way to prove or disprove the diagnosis. However, I do believe CFS/ME is a real illness (I'm pretty sure I have it, whatever it is) and maybe you and many of us do too.

http://chronicfatigue.about.com/b/2009/05/20/odd-sleep-patterns-in-fibromyalgia-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.htm

CFS, FMS and POTS are so closely connected. I think if we find an answer for one, we may find an answer for all of them. (Just my opinion.)

Totally agree!

My sister has CFS really bad and both of us are DX'd with FMS - but, I have EDS too. My sis. see's one of the world known docs for CFS in SLC, Utah. There is a lot of research going on with this right now and some possible studies coming up. Reading the criteria that my sis' doc gave her ---I only lack two of the points of having CFS myself. But, when I compare my tiredness to hers ----I think I don't qualify ---so never said I had CFS. She also has OI with low bp. I have HyperPOTS with high bp's. So, we both have autonomic issues - but - very different presentations. And now, 2 of her 3 kids are showing signs of some sort of dysautonomia. One is a fainter and the other is more like me. So, there has to be some sort of genetics at play here.

Issie