Raised Arms And Tachycardia

SpinnyC

Does anyone know what the normal heart rate response to raised arms should be? I searched online and got mixed results- some things said heart rate should go down, others said it would go up.

Either way I'm pretty sure my response wasn't normal. Since having Pots I've always felt dizzy and tachy when raising my arms but actually saw the results on my heart monitor for the first time today. I doubled my heart rate just holding my arms at forehead height for under a min.

That's a normal response ----completely abnormal -----for us potsies. The thinking at the moment is there is an issue with circulation above heart level. If there is already a problem with circulation of our blood and oxygen above heart level and you raise your arms ---your heart has to work extra hard to pump blood into them. Then you get highly increased heart rates. It is trying to get it to your brain ---the most important place for it to go. Many (most all) of us have this.

Issie

Thanks for the explanation Issie! Good to know I'm normally abnormal :). What happens in non-potsies, does their heart rate go up just a little or down? I couldn't get a straight answer from googling it. Curious if this is an exaggerated response or a backwards one for potsies.

Dr Thompson touched on this briefly in the Changes video when he talked about so many people passing out in the shower from washing their hair (because their arms are up over their head). He said something like - when you raise your arms over your head you constrict the veins in your upper chest/shoulder area, so you get even less blood flow returning to the heart. So, like Issie said, your heart is already working hard to pump to those higher regions and it now has even less blood to pump out - so the tachy is trying to keep up with all of that.

I agree that it would be interesting to see what happens with non-potsies...

Ahh yes showering and hair washing- I think that's my most dreaded place for getting dizzy. My pots doc said the hot (lukewarm in my and probably most potsie's case) further dilates the blood vessels and can have a dehydrating effect so it's a common complaint. I guess add to that the hands over the head and it's the perfect trigger. Funny thing about getting dizzy in the shower- I'd actually stopped telling doctors about that because they all looked at me like it was the craziest thing they ever heard. During the first appointment with my pots doctor he seemed unfazed by everything that had tripped up the other docs so I took a chance and told him. I about fell off the chair (from being stunned not dizzy) when he said, very matter of fact- oh yeah it's a common pots complaint. Proving once again it's just about getting to the right doctor to diagnose the right problem. Wish I could get a money back guarantee on the co-pays from all those other docs who told me nothing was wrong. :D

Guest mattgreen

AllAboutPeace - The veins in my arms and hands when hung by my side are large, thick and knotted. When I raise my arms over my head, they disappear completely.

Yep - first explanation is correct - raising arms causes the heart to pump harder and faster to keep circulation going - and circulation is now having to travel uphill - the normal response would be a slight elevation in heart rate with other body systems kicking in to compensate. It seems, from what I am reading, with POTS, it can cause an abnormally high heart rate but, not necessarily a more effective "pump" response from the heart. My response to raised arms is the exact opposite. My heart rate suddenly drops and if I don't lower my arms, I could pass out. My physician cautioned me to never raise my arms above my head, don't bend over or lower my head, and be sure I never stand up too long. Kind of limits my activity!