Nih Mito Lecture Videocast Today @ 3 Pm Est / 7 Pm Gmt

Crow

Very interesting lecture.

They are starting to realize that mito issues are connected with things like optic atrophy - which can affect degeneration of retina cells and optic nerve - this is through a connection with CMT2. The other thing they connected was with OPA1 and neuropathy and swan cell -neuron defects and motor sensory - both with spinal and external weak muscles ---connected to Charcat-Marie-Tooth syndrome.

They realize that part of the issue is with fusion with fragmentation of the actual mito cell itself. Issues with the fusion of two cells either on the outside level or the inside. It takes the fusion of 2 cells and both the inside and outside for the mitochondrial cell to be completely at optimal function, joined and complete. When there are mutations with this fusion - that's where the issue is with the cells. They believe a good part of the issues are with MFN2 - a reduce in the division causing OPA1 to be deficient. Also, a problem with MFN2 can cause issues in the purkinje cells and that can cause Ataxia. One of the problems in the fusion is in the DNA with a respiratory defect.

They are also connecting issues with dopagenic transporters.

He mentioned that there could be several reasons for the mito fusion issues ---nutrient issues, stress - and oxidative stress (and he said that some drugs that cause oxidative stress - could play a role in this. Some sort of mutation in proteins.)

Okay, so there's my notes and what I wrote down. Interested to hear what others got out of it.

Issie

We know that some of us have mito issues. I find it interesting they are making connections with dopamine. There are different receptors for dopamine. Some of my studies in the past - made me question some of these receptors and their functions with POTS. It seems that some of us may have either too little or too much dopamine. If there are issues with the receptors - and malfunctions there --could it be because of malformed or dysfunctional mitochondria?

Issie

• 2 months later...