Has Anyone Tried Acupuncture?

imapumpkin

I tried it once and didn't notice a difference, but supposedly the lady I went to did it incorrectly so i'm going to try and find someone better. I was suprised how little it hurt , I was kind of freaked out to have a bunch of needles in me :). It helped my neighbor so much with her headaches so I definetly believe in it! I hope it works for you.

I go weekly and take Chinese herbs as well. I've never had any bruising and at worst the needles feel like plucking a hair- most I don't even feel.

I know my chest pain is the least bad it's been since starting acupuncture and the herbs.

Make sure you look into different people and make sure they are liscenced! Tradtional Chinese medicine can be very effective but takes a totally different approach than western medicine.

The acupuncture itself I find very soothing and meditative. I always sleep better after.

I go weekly also for accu and TCM. The first time i went it was like a switch was thrown and i felt absolutely normal and had such a sense of general wellbeing for about an hour before it steadily faded ovre the next couple days. since then its been up and down with some things improving and others worsening and these things changing weekly. I did see two other accupuncturists after the first session and i think that was a mistake after going back to the original person and getting a better result again.

The woman i see seems to think i am very sensitive to it so she is trying to figure out why i seem to over react sometimes and dont find improvements with others. she is also trying to build up and balance my stregnth so i can hold the treatments and hold them consistently so a lot of it has been focused on that and not specifically the pots. Im generally better than when i started though so im going to stick wiht it for a while.

ive had some needles burn for a minute, others send a shockwave down the entire channel, some radiate a wonderful warmth around them, but most i cant really feel at all. Ive had the odd few pop out too. I also went years ago-pre pots-and had fabulous results so im hopeful.

im actually awake now at almost 4 in them morning because of an accidental caffeinated coffee about 12 hours ago. oddly i dont feel bad or even caffeinated in any way except still being awake and dreading the morning. so it has definitely changed this reaction to coffee. not that i reacted badly in the past but i havent had caffeine in almost a year except one accidental caffeinated one about 2 months ago and that was a very bad day. tonight i didnt even think about it until a couple hours ago when i was trying to figure out why i was still wide awake. but then again this could be another paradoxical thing. oh i need sleep! lol

I've been going to acupuncture 2x a month for the past 3 months and have found it to help with overall health in general. I started going for infertility, but found that it was also helping my fatigue and other symptoms in general. I also had some migraines flare up a few months ago that have seemed to go away. It's actually more relaxing to me than a massage. Most important - make sure you find a licensed acupuncturist. I decided to go to one who went through a traditional 4-yr chinese medicine program. She really seems to know her stuff. I say this because from what I understand, there are actually weekend programs available for certification. I know my PCP does acupuncture, but I would never go to him, as I don't think he is properly trained. My acupuncturist told me the needles should never cause any pain. To date, I've never had pain or bruising, and I'm on blood thinners which would make me more prone to bruising.

update. had another accu appt today and i feel great. we decided some things we were working on were being treated a bit too strongly for my system right now-which is pretty weak and sensitive-so this one was toned down a bit. it worked.

I tried it every other week for about 5 sessions along with Chinese herbs. Seemed to make no difference. Didn't hurt at all. I'm going back soon just because I don't think I gave it enough time and was in a little flare by the 2nd or 3rd try. Also, he positioned me supine which is bad for my BP.... I just need to open my mouth and get him to sit me up or semi recline so I don't lay there thru treatment worry that my BP is/was dropping. I also sought out a licensed provider. And I believe it's worth another shot. Good luck

Yes, I go once a week, and I feel it helps. It is not something you can feel a difference after one visit, it takes time to build up. I feel it is the only thing keeping me going, and I can tell when I miss a session. I would definitely try it.

thanks for all the replies, guys. i want to try it to see if it relieves teh chest pain and some fatigue. my friend goes for her anxiety and since i also have anxiety (which isn't helped by the pots and def doesn't help the pots) i wanna give it a go.

You might want to try try Reiki also. It alleviated my chest pain and fatigue, even though I also have cardiomyopathy. I also have anxiety from PTSD and it was gone after one session. I like Reiki because you can learn how to do it on yourself for about the price of 2-3 sessions. It's something you can do for the rest of your life if you need to.

• 1 month later...

I would love to do reiki. Apparently they won't do it if you have a pacemaker. I had it before mine was inserted and it was a beautiful thing. Feel sad about not being able to have it again. I am afraid to have acupuncture because it feels like so much is at stake and I don't have the physical resilience to cope with something/someone that might not be exactly right. How can you ever know if they know their stuff?