Serotonin In The Gut?!

Lemons2lemonade

Eating Habits  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all! I was doing some reading on serotonin the other day and was surprised to learn that that there is a significant amount in the gut! So i'm running a poll on eating habits prior to dysautonomia. I hope each day for all of you to have relief from your symptoms. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lemons,

Glad you are doing well overall. I can't answer most of the questions (I never count calories, and I am a big "snacker".) But, I do know that the amount of serontonin in the gut is supposedly more than in the brain and that is why they sometimes treat IBS with SSRIs. I thought that I remembered that you were taking Lexapro - are you? Did it affect your gut?

Thanks,

Abby

The gut is amazingly intricate with its own 'brain' and the only organ directly connected to your brain, and there are seratonin mediated allergies, and mast cell connectins, etc... its definitely worth reading up on. here is a link i found very quickly... http://www.psyking.net/id36.htm which goes into it a little. i only skimmed it, so not sure if its a very good one, and not really scientific in its presentation, but its a start. the gut brain connection is very interesting.

If you're not sure what counts as a well-balanced diet in terms of ratio of protein/carbs/fat, http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200 is a well-respected guideline which does at least give you some idea of what is counted as "normal" in this respect. Which is all debatable, of course, but it gives us a baseline to work with. I'd consider my diet to be normal, while someone who believes in a low-carb/high-fat diet would think that I'm on a high-carb diet.