Getting To Work On Time...

klgpdx

A first for me on this forum, I really just need to vent. I just started a new job and career two months ago in education. My school is a late start school so I have been able to get out of bed and to work on time. Gradually I have become more tired after work, taking naps immediately when I get home. But I love it, and I know I can make it work. Or could make it work.

This week I was told I am going to be split between two schools, and the other school starts an hour earlier. This means two to three days a week I have to get there at 7:30. No one understands why this is a problem for me. My dad just keeps telling me to go to bed earlier or wake up earlier. He doesn't get that I CAN'T! Never in my life have I been able to be somewhere daily before eight. In high school I missed about 20% of school because I didn't want to be disciplined for being tardy, so I just didn't go. If it was every day I might be able to set a good routine, but the fact that is half time actually makes it worse.

I can't stop crying just thinking about it. Which is just ridiculous to begin with.

Luckily, I am having a sleep study done in two weeks. I just hope I can make it to work on time until then.

I know this was just to vent, but if you have any tips for getting out of bed when you feel like death... please let me know.

Oh, I so know how you feel. :( Try not to stress too much, it will turn out ok. Listen to your body. If you can't, you can't.

It sound like sleep is a very important issue. I am a teacher myself but I have had to quit my job this school year. I had to quit because my son has POTS. Some POTS patients just need more sleep. My son is 12 and goes to bed at 9 but he does not always fall asleep by 9:30. For awhile, he was waking up several times through the night. On those days, he was having to sleep in until 9 or 10 in the morning. Is it possible that you could teach part-time until you are able to make the adjustment to this new teaching job? When my son was at Mayo, they told us to make sure he went to bed a the same time every night. However if he slept through for 9, 10, or 11 hours his body needs it. My advice is to listen to your body and talk to your employer about your teaching assignment. Good luck and have good year of teaching!

Ditto to all above. Perhaps this is one of those times to get a note from a doctor. Do you have a doc that can help with this right away rather than wait for the sleep study?

I'm just think it is great you can still work. I know it is harder on you than most everyone else and most people don't understand. Hang in there. We're behind you.

I have always gotten into work late, even before POTS. Post POTS it is even worse. Whenever I actually need to get somewhere on time (meetings, etc), I set my alarm clock 2 1/2 hrs early so that I have enough time to straggle in. And I make sure I go to sleep the night before. I get in at 10:30. I cannot imagine having to be somewhere at 7:30.

Luckily every place I have ever worked has been understanding. I tend to go above any beyond the call of duty, so I think that makes up for it and people are always glad to have me around and kind of joke about the fact that I get in late. Also, I try to be available at all times by email/blackberry. So I check in and answer a bunch of calls, emails, before I leave home, That actually makes me even later to work, but I don't think anyone cares. And I do that again at night. Workling from home I can do lying down. Not sure that's possible to do when you work in a school.

And actually there are lots of other peple in my office that get in late for different reasons - like my neighbor is a mom and is always going off to school things for her kids. I actually don't feel bad about it, and I figure if there is a problem, they will speak to me, at which point I will tell them about my medical issue. I haven't yet!

By the way, we all understand what your are going through. That's a bummer that your family doesn't get it. We are all here to listen if they don't. I hope you get some answers in your sleep study.

Thanks all! I'm just really hoping I can pull through for two weeks before the sleep study. I want to take Provigil, which helps people wake up, but my naturopath and cardiologist can't prescribe it.

Today I told my new principal that I was concerned about the reporting time and that I'm not a morning person. She just kind of smiled with a worried look. I want to avoid the "medical condition" conversation for as long as possible. Although part of me thinks I need to touch base with HR ASAP before I start being late and get written warnings. I hate to be pessimistic but I have 26 years of being late to know what's likely going to take place!

And yes, it is great to be able to work. I need to remind myself to be grateful for that. I have just never been able to move forward in a career because bosses like people who come to work early and stay late, regardless of the fact that I always outperform my colleagues during normal work hours.

C'est la vie. I'm learning to love my current situation and prospects in life. I'm making POTS work.