Sweat Test

Louby

In the next couple of weeks I have to go for a sweat test... I have just discovered what the test will involve.

1 x Disposable Swim suit, Orange Powder, turning purple after making me warm!

Has anyone been through this test, is it really as bad as it sounds??

I've also been told I have to go for a food test, which is a new thing - anyone have any ideas??

Guest tearose

Yep, did this one. I did this test at Mayo last year. The assistants are strictly business, not warm, fuzzy or kind. If you get people like this, just ignore them, you are doing this to help yourself! I didn't get the swimsuit. I got two sheets. Anyway, I had to lay down on a sliding table. They placed the neatly folded sheet where they had to and then proceeded to dust me with powder. I just imagined it was brown sugar and cinnamon. Then they slid me into the easy-tan oven where it gets very, very hot, very slowly. I wish I could make it sound easier but it is not. I had to ask for some fresh air. Just play whatever mind games with yourself to talk yourself into enduring it. First I pretended I was on the beaches of hawaii...then I personally needed to pray. I will tell you, I remember laying there not understanding how I could finish it, but I did! So will you. It turned out to me so important to my treatment too because they did find that I have denervation of my legs. This explains why I dump norepenipherine when I stand up. This test helped me find my way to the treatment plan that works!

I don't have food allergy issues so I can't comment on them.

tearose

My wife recently went through this test at Mayo as well. She also did not have the disposable swim suit. Other than taking a bit to get some of the purple off, she said it wasn't too bad. It took her longer to sweat than alot of folks, but she did sweat.

Not sure what food test you are talking about, but if it is the one to measure emptying be ready for a full day pretty much shot. They give you a radioactive breakfast and then you go back about every hour and they take x-rays. They monitor how long it takes for the food to pass through your body. My wife's test was only a day but the instructions showed that they can go as long as 72 hours.

She was getting really ill every time she ate, but has since found by altering her diet she can control this most of the time. Thanks to the advice out here about staying away from high Carb meals, she has seen some relief. She will still go with the high carb stuff when she breaks down and really wants it. Sometimes she will get sick and sometimes not.

There are several tests -- you need to be more specific. There is GI motility as mentioned about, then there are allergy tests, and then there are "food challenges" which is used to find "sensitivities", not allergies. There are others, but these were the first that came to mind when reading your post.

Can't speak to the sweat test. Never had it done.

Nina :)

Wow the sweat test sounds intriguing. I really like tearose's explanation and that it actually led to help in her treatment. I don't suspect they do this anywhere else but Mayo.

I have had food sensitivity testing done. I think my doctor used immunolabs.com

We were able to see that I had developed "allergies" to most everything I was eating. It's been two years+ now since the tests (and further tests for systemic candida) and I now use a "rotation" diet with mostly normal foods. That is to say ... after being wheat free, cheese free, egg freee etc. for over a year I can now have eggs, 1 day a week, cheese on another day, I have wheat (actually Spelt) once a week etc. It takes for more planning (especially since I am also a vegetarian and these are my staples) but it does help and I know when I have over done something.

Good luck! Let us know how the swimsuit competition goes.

EM

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping that in my hospital (london) they will be providing me with a swimsuit - we shall see, this is the first time I am going for a test where I am much more prepared, for what is in store, this makes it far less stressful.

I don't know the exact food test I will be going through, I'm sure my Proffesor did explain however my mind has gone blank on this test, I shall have formal documenation sent to me in the post in the next week, so I shall let you all know then.