What Does This Mean?

ACsMom

Now she tells me. My daughter has just described episodes of difficulty reading. They usually happen when she is very fatigued (on her home PT days) or just not feeling well. The words and pages will get very dark and she has a hard time focusing. The words can move around. I'm assuming POTS,NMH. But is there anything she can do? Is this a lack of O2? Is this pre-fainting?? Some deep breathing in order?? She started licorice, butchers broom a month ago, added onto what she's been taking.... midodrine and salt and fluids. I haven't yet started her on the .1mg of florinef.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I'm not sure what it means. I'd love to know too! This was my very symptom as a teenager - difficulty reading, although my eyesight is perfectly fine. And that was years before all the other symptoms came. I can also relate to the feeling that everything is about to go black. Fatigue definitely makes it worse, so all I can suggest is she not attempt heavy duty reading when she is tired and maybe she could try reading while laying down? I often feel more focused and clear headed while laying down. Sorry I don't have better answers.

Sounds like lack of circulation to her brain. I get blurred vision, and tunnel and blackened vision is actually near fainting, because of hypovolemia...Have her drink plenty of fluids. How is her B/P through this?

Thank you Kim and Naomi. What she is taking changed so much after her last dr. visit 6 weeks ago. I read that licorice in large quantities can cause "visual acuity" problems with spasms with the blood vessels in the eye....... Mom took it from ;o). Waiting to hear back from her doctor.

I don't know what her HR and BP are. She doesn't tell me when it is happening. I think her attitude is that it's just part of her life and she tries to work around it. Usually, BP does not spike and I haven't seen it go below 100 systolic in quite a while. At 17, I think she needs to move toward being more proactive in checking this type of thing when it happens. Maybe a log that she can check rate and bp with the dominate symptom.

Thanks again.

My daughter had the same thing. She was pretty much unable to read a book for close to a year. She could read some if she was lying down, but not at all if she was even just sitting up. Her cardiologist finally put her on adderall and it it really fixed the whole thing. I think it is a lack of blood flow to the brain. Adderall is a vasoconstrictor and I think that is why this helped.

Since I have been on some mitochondrial supplements, my vision has improved. See below, and do your research. I am trying to take care of my problem at the root, starting in the cells of our bodies. I still take my medications, and exercise, too. I am a nurse, and am amazed the difference it has made in my energy level!!