As A Child, Could You Swing On A Swingset?

kayjay

Odd question, I know! I have children and am sometime worry about a genetic link for my problems. I always felt sick on swingsets (which makes sense for pots but was strange as a child). As an adult I was a teacher and played with my students at recess. I got so ill when they wanted me to swing.

I am wondering if any of you have and opinion about this. Thank you!

Yes, sometimes I could swing, but the first time I ever got nausea was on a swing set. I got car sick a lot too. Get motion sick easy. It was one of the questions the neuro at ucla asked me. I now know that when it happens my blood pressure has dropped. If you can check your bp and see if your low. I will faint if or throw up if I don't lay down when this happens.

I could swing, but get motion sick/car sick very easily. I can't read in the car or eat before going in the car. I loved amusement park rides, but could never go on any ride that goes round and round. Actually, I get sick just fom looking at those rides. But I have friends worse than me who don't have POTS.

Interesting question. Swings were ok, but other things bothered me. Trying to read during a car ride caused nausea, going down escalators made me feel like I was going to fall, plane rides made feel really weird in my head and in my teenage years malls or supermarkets triggered the spacey feeling. Something has been wrong all along, but not sure if this is a vestibular issue seperate from the dysautonomia or if these were early signs of the disease/disorder. My son has never liked swings, feels uncomfortable with heights and doesn't like fast amusement park rides. I worry that he's going to be like me - hope not.

Really good question - b/c I have things in childhood that I believe were subtle clues. But swings were fine for me, never car sick. Wasn't a fan of heights, amusement park rides. Definitely could not run as far as the other kids, never had enough breath, always had red face for hours after gym and much heavier breathing than everyone else. Poor recovery from any running. I seemed to never be able to get into the conditioning other kids could. As an adult I finally just switched to weight training and seemed to be better for me. Gave up on Treadmill and limited to 15 minutes (this is all prior to my most recent bad flare). I am a low BP POTs person. Semi-confimed hypovolemia. I suspect could be autonomic in nature. By the way - I recently moved my treadmill upstairs....it's staring at me.... baby steps people....;-)

Loved swings and roller coasters...did get sick on roundy rides, though...probably will never do them again :( Just thought of that the other day -_- I wasn't sick til I was older...

I used to swing on swings until I was pregnant with my second child. After that, no more swings. I used to ride all kinds of rides, except the tea cups (uuggghhh), but over the years, I can't do any rides any more. I've always gotten car sick, especially on the school bus. Elevators even bother me now, so I pretty much stick to my feet being planted firmly on the solid, non-moving ground as much as I am able.

awesome interesting question...don't know if my input is helpful as the last time i saw my real dad was on a swingset age 4, he was a drunk and he told me to swing high to the sky, I think we flipped over the top but he held on to me. But I do know for a fact that i've never liked rollercosters, they make me green to the gills, I cannot do ring around the rosies with my son or swing. I seriously turn white as a ghost. My big sis has ms and she has no probs with roller costers though.

I've always been prone to motion sickness in vehicles since I was a child (my friends' parents learned quickly to let me sit up front...can't even remember how many times I puked in the back of a station wagon!) but I used to be able to handle any ride, swing, etc. At 16 years old, that changed and any ride that goes in a circle makes me incredibly ill. Before POTS I could still handle rollarcoasters and things that didn't have repetitive motion. (Haven't been brave enough to try since...too worried how I'd handle it.) Now I can't swing on swings without almost throwing up. In fact, watching my daughter go on rides that spin in circles makes me feel queasy. Even though my symptoms are pretty controlled now, I still get really disoriented riding on elevators. I have to go to the 20th floor of my building at work frequently and many times as I get off, I have to brace myself against the wall or sit down for a bit because it makes me really dizzy. A few times I almost blacked out. It's really irritating! Plus people look at you weird. :P

I had no problems with swings. Loved roller coasters. But sick with driving and flying.

I once went to a gym that had an elevator. Once we were up (one floor) I grabbed at the wall and asked how they could stand working out there when the floor swayed. Ha...the floor was fine. I haven't been on an elevator since that I don't experience phantom floor movement.

I was fine with swings as a child. I used to hook my legs around the chains, hang upside down, and then flip off. Oy. I cannot imagine doing that now!

We have a porch swing now and I'm usually find but if I'm very symptomatic I hate the motion. Of course, if I'm very symptomatic I'm likely not outside on the porch swing . . .

Relax86, I was the same in childhood. Couldn't run, red face, etc. My dad was a runner and was always bugging me to get into shape, but it was SO HARD. Finally as an adult I worked up to jogging super super slowly. I was speed walking 6 miles before I could run a mile. Even with breaks for pregnancy and POTSness I can still run a mile without any training. But can I talk while running? No. My sister and I ran a 10k last year and though I had trained better, she could chat while we were running and I couldn't. I'm sure my HR is through the roof but I've never worn a monitor.

I've always found exercises/movements with my arms bearing weights over my head very difficult.

I could swing for a short time, but if I swung too high, I remember getting really nauseous. I never could tumble-- made me sick every time. Never could ride the ride the rides that went round and round in 360degrees-- that would definitely bring on a nausea attack. However, roller coasters were my passion. I remember my brother and I riding the The Beast in the front seat at Kings Island when I was in my mid-40ies and we were one of the oldest on the coaster. I wouldn't dare to that now-- I'm sure I would be vomiting before we made it up the first hill!

Interesting topic. I use to love swings and even roller coasters. But now swings make me sooo dizzy! I did notice this after I got sick. I have even sky dived and went parasailing, but I don't think I would do that now.

Funy how I never use to think about the long lines at amusement parks beyond the fact that it was boring. But I don't I think I could stand in those lines long enough to get to the ride(airport security is hard enough) : ) too many people...prefer calming things now