Aaaaand Another New Symptom...i Think...

ophelialit

Hi, all...

I've been working like a fiend and traveling quite a bit, so I haven't been able to visit on the forums as much as usual...I was cooking along just fine (for a change) when I was struck by what I'm suspecting is a new symptom...or a new manifestation of an old problem. I developed a kind of stabby pain in my ears (left more than right) and some odd, "fluttery" sensations (think hummingbirds in the ear canals, but less pleasant). I went to my nurse practitioner since she's always good in a pinch for routine things, and she said there wasn't much going on upon examination...maybe some redness...could be a mild case of swimmer's ear, but nothing at all to explain the symptoms I'm having. Talked to her about my TMJ which has caused some SERIOUS ear pain in the past, and she said that it could be a tensor tympani issue--jaw muscle inflammation wreaking all kinds of havoc on the ears...or IN the ears, as the case may be...I HAVE had major jaw, neck, and back pain recently and just GOBS of stress, so....I suppose....anyone have a similar thing?

I have had bouts of ear drum spasms along w my pretty severe tinnitus. (Have had continuous ear ringing bilaterally since las Sept. It started w one high pitch and is now 3 different pitches, both ears. On occasion, when really symptomatic I hear a fourth really low pitch.)

During my last big flare following dental work I started having pretty bad ear pain along with the ear drum spasms. They sound like a drum in your ear. (might google ear drum spasm and see if it fits you.). These ear drum spasms can be w or w/o pain. When I've had paint has been migrainous in nature. The only thing that helped me get the spasms to calm down was complete rest (about 2 weeks) and lots of IV fluids.

I have episodes of Eustachian tube dysfunction which gives me really sharp stabbing pain in my ears. It'll stop me in my tracks at times....literally. Only seems to happen on the right side. Seems to happen more often during my allergy seasons. (spring and fall being the worst for me.)