Muscle Tension And Relief

mully2014

I get really bad muscle tension that seems to be related to my conditions. Does anyone else have this problem if so what do you do to help? I have done massage and chiropractor but it adds up especially when it doesn't hold/help for very long (on average only 24hours) and just started up with manipulation and physical therapy. I'm hoping to feel better especially when I will have to sit all day long at school in a wheelchair.

I would search for some yoga stretches you could do. I have some muscle soreness that I believe is due to lack of stretching and exercising like I used to. Like my back feels like I did s full hour long weight lifting session yesterday...but I haven't been to the gym in weeks, so I think it's tightening up due to under use. Totally just my personal opinion! But I ALWAYS feel better when I do some stretching in th morning and at night. Doesn't have to be vigorous or anything- just some gentle moves.

I have mild CP and bromelain has been a life saver for me. I don't think I would be able to walk due to muscle spascity without it.

Bromelain is a naturally occuring enzyme found in pineapples that, when taken on an empty stomach, acts as an anti-inflamatory. It is sold in most health food stores with digestive supplements. (When you take it on a full stomach it helps digest protein.)

Heat - I have an electric heating blanket which I adore.

Miracle Ball Method - read the reviews on Amazon, that'll explain it. Best thing I've found for releasing muscle tension in the back in particular. It's a softish grapefruit-sized ball, you lie on it in various positions and do deep breathing, and if desired, exercises. Then your muscles miraculously unwind around it. I find the results better than massage, and since it's a one-off purchase, you can do it every day, which you can't with massage.

Tiger Balm - can have its uses, though be careful, it's not something you want to get in your eyes or other tender areas.

Stretches - if you use a computer a lot, try Stretchclock.com. It brings up a video every hour (or how often you choose) with nice easy stretches designed for office workers.

My personal pain meds for muscle pain are co-codamol with valium, it's the only thing that touches muscular pain or migraine for me. But it's heavy-duty stuff, I only take it when the pain is severe, and I certainly wouldn't run around recommending it to everyone. My main point was that it can be worth playing with combinations of meds, as drugs which do nothing for you on their own may work if you combine them with something else.

• 1 month later...