Does POTS get worse over time?

DSM3KIDZ

Yes, I had several PET scans at NIH, where I was given a radioisotope, which allowed them to see all the nerves in my heart, and surrounding area. Additionally, another test showed how the nerves functioned. They drew blood directly from my heart several times via a catheter--this allows them to get an accurate reading of the realease of epinephrine.

Nina

Guest tearose

ouch! Is that as bad as it sounds Nina? How do you prepare yourself for a blood draw from the heart and deal with that? Catheter or not, sounds scary to me! I sure would be pushing my tolerance envelope. Even laying on a table, I'd probably pass out!

Do they sedate you for that ?

Thanks for sharing the info...tearose

In order to get an accurate reading on the catecholamine release, no sedation can be utillized. I had a local at the catherter incision, and that was it. It was creepy, because I could feel the catheter move through to my heart (I had a R-heart cath, so it was through my great vein, aka jugula). I also had some odd beats from my heart as they go the cath in the right position. Very strange, a little scary, but didn't hurt.

The PET scan was for almost 8 hours, and there was about a 1 hour break at some point. It sounds tough, but I am able to relax in all kinds of situations, and I slept as I listened to my cd player. They changed discs for me a number of times...and I went in and out of conciousness. The hardest part was that they had my arms out to my side and slightly above shoulder level in order to get my heart into the view of the scanner. I had spasms in my chest, back and shoulders.

Of all the tests, none bothered me that much, BUT, one of the procedures they did during several tests was to insert an arterial line. Now THAT hurt. Apparently my medial nerves run on top of my major arteries in both forarms. There aren't enough foul words on earth to yell when the stick a needle that deep and hit a major nerve each time. Even with lidocaine, I had reflexe responses that caused my arm to flex when the doctor hit it. I also have a tendency for my vessels to spasm, so even after they got the a-line in a good position, my arm ached. I have a smilar reaction to IV's but not as severe.

I don't mean to scare folks off from NIH--they don't do the tests I had any more. Nina

Guest tearose

I'm not sure I could endure this one! I hope the PET scan technology has changed. I'm hoping that your experience was unique because of the NIH study you were participating in. yes?

The more I think about your experience, the more I feel :) who invented this one?

Well, at least you were able to have the peace of mind knowing your heart had not denervated.

Now I know at least in part, how you earned your title!

I appreciate your story and hope telling it did not bring up too many reminder pains!

many thanks, tearose

Overall, my experience at NIH was amazing. They appreciate all the people who volunteer, and I was treated like a queen. Yes, parts of the testing hurt, but I got as much out of my visit as they got from my being there.

Nina