How Many Novacaine Shots Does It Usually Take For Dental Procedure?

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just read on a another forum that a few POTS people, need to get a ton of injection before they are numb? I seriously think I got like 10+ injection one time and still felt it..

Just wanted to know if it was coincidence or that these other pots people have the same thing..

P.S. I know most dentists don't use Novacaine anymore, but that's what people usually associate with local anesthesia :-)

BTW I found that these patients usually need a lot of Novacaine too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalemic_sensory_overstimulation

I can't get the shots with the epinephrine in them. They give the ones that does not have it and it doesn't last as long - so then you may need more injections depending on the procedure. If I take the ones with the epinephrine in them I start shaking like a leaf and yes it makes me extremely more tachy. I couldn't answer the questions the way they were written. But, that's my experience. I hate the dentist any way!

Issie

Im like Issie I cant take the shots with epinephrine in them. In 2003 before I got really sick I had an abscess in the root of my tooth. The dentist couldn't understand why after 11 injections I could still feel the drill. I also had part of my toe nail removed in 2009 and 5 mins into the procedure I told the dr I could feel the scissors cutting down the side of the nail. He told me I couldnt possibly feel it - I could.

I fainted after the 11 injections at the dentist and spent three days in bed. I now ensure I have the shots without epinephrine as it stops me getting tachy or fainting.

Novocaine not working is a sign of EDS. I am lucky in the fact they do work very quickly but I burn through the dose at light speed. My dentist now works at the speed of light with another syringe of local at the ready as soon as I start to feel anything.

I too couldnt answer the poll in the way the questions are structured.

Rach

I have the normal reaction to these now but I seem to remember it wasn't always that way. But my bp and hr are within the low normal range they just fluctuate when I'm upright. Maybe getting the excitotoxins out of my diet helped with this too. I'm much calmer now.

Fwiw, I have a freind who needs a lot of novacaine but doesn't have pots. Imho, Asking a question like this will typically only get responses from those who agree. I wonder what dentists have to say about this.

Tc .. D

I have plain ole Pots.

I never get totally numb when having dental work... Although its been 10 or so years since I've had to have novocaine. BUT somewhere I read said that if you don't get numb @ the dentist an edidural during labor won't work either. And mine totally didn't work.

So do dentists use lidocaine? I've had lidocaine injections heaps of times in other parts of my body and it worked fine.

"P.S. I know most dentists don't use Novacaine anymore, but that's what people usually associate with local anesthesia"

Well, hard to know if people are answering about actual lidocaine-based injections or just injections. As far as lidocaine, I cannot tolerate them due to the tachy and feeling like I'm about to explode.

As far as the non-lidocaine injections, they don't even put a dent in the numbing. I feel the whole thing, thus have not been able to have any dental procedures done.

BUT, I just found out about laser-based dental work. For alot of procedures they can now use a laser and you don't need ANY injections! I have a dental appt. this coming week to fix a front tooth that's had a hole in it for a good while. Finally I can smile and not be so self-conscious.

I have terrible reactions to anesthetics (tachy, vomiting, out of body sensations, seizures (?) and fainting), so I take a Percocet and a stress ball and take my drilling and filling sans anesthesia. My dentist is always duly impressed. The pain is short-lived and much better than the alternative reaction. I also really stay on top of my dental issues so that I don't end up needing a more serious procedure like a root canal. I think I'd have to be admitted for that.

I need 3-4x the normal amount of novacaine. And, I had a biopsy on my finger earlier this year and that doc had to give me what he said was about 3x the normal amt he would give before I was actually numb. He swore it was because I was having anxiety...it wasn't...at least not until he tried cutting into my finger after the first dose of local and it wasn't numb (as I had told him it wasn't). I think at that point as a pain response I had another adrenaline surge.

I'm thrilled to hear about the laser treatments. I will definitely look into them.

I've always needed more anesthetic than one dose. But in the last year have had dental work twice and both the problems were latent onset of severe Dysautonomia symptoms. I'm still recovering from a filling done almost a month ago. I actually suspect either some damage to the trigeminal nerve or some sort of systemic toxicity that has a latent effect.

Thx for posting.

Not sure since I've only had one shot since developing POTS. But I've almost always needed more than the standard dose, especially when I was younger - I hear it's linked to joint hypermobility syndrome/EDS as well. The most recent time I had one (post-POTS showing up and not yet on meds) I did very nearly pass out, but not sure if I was tachy and also not sure if the near passing out was due to the IV they were putting in, since I'm a terrible needlephobe about IVs in particular. In the past my reaction to shots with epinephrine was no worse than shots without it (having done both), but my use of albuterol for asthma has caused tachycardia in the past (many years pre-POTS).

• 10 months later...

Dentist have always had a difficult time getting me numb. I always ask for a nerve block. It is the only thing that works for me. Like Issie, I get shaky when I have several local shots. Guess it is the epinephrine. It makes my heart beat very fast and I have a hard time breathing.

NMPots, you are SOOOOOOOooooo much braver than I. I think I would pee my pants (literally) if I had a drill in my mouth with out anesthesia.

A normal dental procedure usually involves the dentist saying "Wow, really?" and injecting more novacaine about 8 times. I have assumed EDS. It's the same with all painkillers for me. There is a certain medical procedure a man can get when he decides he doesn't want to have anymore kids. To numb the area, you get 1 very painful shot. I needed 6.

CANNOT tolerate Novocaine. I got one shot of it two years ago and i thought my heart was gonna shoot out my ribcage and run out the door...and really didn't do much numbing. Carbocaine and Lidocaine are fine and I don't get tachycardia from either..One shot of carbocaine does the trick at the dentist