Low Blood Volume Testing?

flower

Hello all,

One other question:

IV fluids help me more than any other treatment I have tried. Objectively, my heart rate improves a lot after having IV fluids. I drink a lot and have electolyte drinks etc but at my worst, inhave a problem where i pee more than i can take in, for days and days on end. Would all this suggest I have a problem with low blood volume?

I have been told by a doctor that I do not have low blood volume because my blood sodium levels are normal. Is this a good indicator of blood volume levels in people with POTS?

Information about this much appreciated

Hi flower,

to the best of my knowledge the blood and even the 24 hours sodium levels could be indicative of hypovlemia (low blood volume) but it's not an exact science.

The "real" testing for blood volume is more complex than that. I read an article about this recently - I'll post the link if I can find it.

Alex

My serum sodium levels have always been high but I was diagnosed with low blood volume at CC. However, it is a presumed dx because I am allergic to iodine so the nuclear medicine test was not done. My doctor based the dx on all my other symptoms and test results.

Flower this happening to me too. I did infusion therapy last summer. Starting back up again this week. Maybe the TX heat, dryness is too much for me I don't know. I too follow my doctors fluid intake directions perfectly. My blood volume testing is in 4 weeks. Please keep me posted on any findings.

Wish you well.

Thank you for the replies everybody, and for that informative link, Alex :-) I think I would need that kind of test done, though I don't know if we have the facility for it here in New Zealand. Will try and look it up again. I would think the simple fact my pulse rate etc improves after IV fluids might indicate I have low blood volume anyhow?

I found this link as well - can anyone tell me if it means what I think it means? Does it mean that you can have normal blood sodium levels but hypovolemia is different from straight dehydration, and needs to be tested for differently?

http://medicineoutofthebox.com/2010/09/29/dehydration-and-hypovolemia-differences-can-be-important/

Take very good care all! :-) good luck with the testing fussy bug!