Left-Right Arm Bp Differences?

I have absolutely no clue whether this is a dysautonomia topic or not, since I have no clue what it means, so I'll just throw this question out there and see if anyone else knows what I mean........

Do you experience differences in blood pressure between your right and left arms? I use my at-home blood pressure kit often enough on my right arm that I know how to use it, and obtain pretty consistent values. Therefore, I'm confident that I know what I'm doing when I use it. For this reason, it's always a bit disconcerting when I obtain the "error" message. Otoh, it supports my concern that my blood pressure is, at those times, super low and I'm typically dizzy and/or not feeling well when this happens (as in lower than it's typical 90/60). It happened tonight, for example, after I was done working out (after my heart rate decreases, I feel dizzy and lightheaded). I've started then measuring my left arm's blood pressure, and it is always readable (tonight it was 91/75, with a heartrate of 80). When I CAN read my right arm, my left arm is sometimes as much as 10pts higher (this has NOT been scientific, as I have not done my left arm first followed by my right arm). A physical correlation to this finding...there have been "spells" (can be induced by exercising without added electrolytes, afterwards) when my right (but not left) fingers get tingly; at its worst, my right ARM got tingly and maybe my left fingers became tingly.

As far as I know, my cardiovascular system is normal. Thoughts? Thanks!

A difference of up to 15-20 mmHg systolic (top number) or 10 mmHg (bottom number) is considered normal, especially if this difference is always present. Usually the right arm has a higher blood pressure than the left because the arteries that supply it branch off the aorta first and therefore recieve more foreceful blood flow.

A greater (chronic) difference could be a sign of arteriosclerosis (harderning of the arteries) on the side that is higher. This is obviously much less likely the younger you are and could also just be a normal variation. If you are worried about this, you could ask for a referal to preventative cardiology.

A greater (acute) difference is definately a cause for concern (for aortic dissection), especially if accompanied by loss of movement and/or sensation to the limb that is lower. This is usually a VERY large differerence and you should get yourself to an ER ASAP.

To the best of my knowledge a difference of 10 pts or so between left arm and right arm bp is not something to worry about.

If the tingling in your fingers/arm occurs shortly after measuring your bp and subsides relatively fast it might be that the bp cuff is too tight?! - just a thought - I might be wrong as I don't know all the details, but this is something I've experienced myself.

Alex

Thanks for the thoughts. I've read that a 10pt difference isn't really a big concern so I wouldn't worry except that I also notice a difference in the tingling/numbness along the same lines (ie, much greater in right arm than left arm). Alex, no, this isn't only when I take my bp (but it does happen when I take my bp in my R arm); it happens when I have "episodes". Sometimes the cause can be guessed at (like after working out), although other times I don't know why. Flyingsquirrel, during one bad shaking/dizzy episode that did not resolve, I decided to go to the local Medcheck (a friend drove me) but my right fingers were numb and the doc there insisted I go to the ER......not that I learned anything new in that trip, except that I didn't die (they called it a seizure-tho whether it was or not is debatable, loaded me up on ativan-enough that the ceiling was floating nicely around, called me stable, and sent me home, telling me not to drive until I saw my neuro).

I guess I'm not scared of the shaking episodes as much anymore since I've been through them enough times to know that I will be okay if I can wait them out (easy enough to say if I'm home and not working!), but I *am* disturbed that I get the numbness more in one arm than the other. Was just wondering if anyone else experienced this imbalance.