Neck Problem Associated With Dysautonomia?

Hi everyone,

I just posted a little while ago because my symptoms flaired after my neck cracked, and my symptoms flaired back up. At my doctor I found that what I had wondered and suspected all along was true, and that was that my neck problem, which is actually spinal cord compression of the c-4 and c-5 would cause the problems I was having. So while suffering again and looking for some type of peace with it I was searching on your tube, and the first video I found was a girl with EDS who got dysautonomia when she sublexed (partially dislocated) her neck. For me all my problems started a couple days to a couple weeks after I had side to side whiplash. I know everyone would like to find a cause and a reason. Maybe this can help someone else. I am working on my neck and praying it will make things better. Right now I am having a lot of neck issues, but am hopeful for healing. I hope this helps someone else. here is the video if anyone wants to watch it.

Suzy

Yes, I agree. I had whiplash July 2011. Sudden onset of POTs a few weeks later. Then four weeks later had a chiropractic adjustment (with my regular chiro) and like Naomi, I had the worst symptoms for months after. My neck hurts a lot and I alternate daily with ice and heat and lotions like arnica, aspercreme etc. Tried PT and go to acupuncture but can't get too much better.

I am thinking lidocaine or cortisone but not sure....

Have either of you found anything to help the neck and discs (mine are c5 and 6). It has been a long year and like Naomi wrote, I don't know how to fix this but think it is a huge player.

Here is my experience with this after 8 years of being under chiropractic care and 3 1/2 of those being ill with POTS. Pre-pots no trouble ever with any adjustments. Post-pots example 1.....neck adjustment aggravated symptoms shakiness, nausea, dizziness horriblely one day. It was really traumatizing. This was before I knew what was wrong with me and before I or my chiro knew the pattern of subluxation in my spine. The best way I can describe it is your spine is a lot like your teeth. Each vertebrae has a pattern it always wants to go back to. Even if it's out of alignment. Just like when you put braces on teeth and you take them off. If you don't wear your retainer the teeth will eventually shift back into the same pattern as Pre braces. That's almost always how the spine works. So I decided to go to a very specific technique called Atlas Orthogonal google it. It uses VERY detailed x rays to determine the position of the atlas or first bone in the neck in turn creating a more specific adjustment to your pattern. Once we established this, even though I prefer AO because of its gentleness my regular chiro can also be more specific instead of aggravating. A wrong adjustment can be awful, a right adjustment can literally have me functioning 60 percent better the next day. My point is there is no "damage" per se. If it can be done, it can be undone.

Hi everyone,

I have also had a bad experience with chiropractic adjustment. The problem was that my neck wasn't ready to be cracked. It did crack on the one side, where I always get a crack, but when he tried the other side nothing, and unfortunatly he tried 3 times. What I have found is very similar to what Ashelton describes which is that my neck almost adjusts itself. The symptoms build as the neck is getting tighter, and usually after a neck massage some time after that it cracks. I stretch it, but it is minimal that I stretch it. And this is what was making me better for quite some time. I know it was. But each time it would crack I would have a "bad" period before I would heal. But if I just waited long enough I was usually very happy with how I felt later. This time was really bad though. The crack and the "healing" time after. As the tension is starting to wear off though I think I may see a lot of healing. I will let everyone know if I do a big turn around and feel better. I have seen things on the AO, and I believe it is a good way to go. I haven't had it done myself, but with my neck self correcting hopefully won't need to. I have an electric percusion massager, and I pay my kids (lol) to massage my neck with it. It can make me feel better anytime I feel bad. Hope everyone feels great today!

Suzy

A wrong adjustment can be awful, a right adjustment can literally have me functioning 60 percent better the next day. My point is there is no "damage" per se. If it can be done, it can be undone.

Ashelton - not so sure about this. I went in to see the chiropractor with a pretty good neck - only thing noted was loss of the curve. After his "adjustment" - I had two herniated disks, at c-5/c-6 and c-6/c-7, one of which is pushing on my spinal cord. Within minutes of that adjustment, I had my first heart racing episode and within days full on autonomic symptoms. I suppose it could all be coincidence, but it's hard not to keep going back to this. Even if this isn't the cause of the dysautonomia, at the very least, I now have a messed up neck. One neuro-surgeon told me I needed surgery, three others said I do not. I don't know how this can be un-done. I wish it could.

Naomi, I have spinal issues in those spots too. I have spurs on all those vertabrae. Have osteoarthritis really bad in my entire back and had a whiplash injury. I also broke my back but lower down issues with T10 and T12. So, it makes you wonder if the issues are not somehow related.

Issie

I have no cervical curve and mild scoliosis that didn't form until POTS did. I can't find it just now, but we had a really long thread about this a couple of months ago. You might be able to do a search and find it. I think Sue also had a thread recently about cerebral autoregulation that talked about spinal cord injury and autonomic dysfunction.