Weird Symptom After Swimming

Chrissy

I developed a new symptom while on vacation last month. After getting out of the swimming pool at three separate hotels on numerous occassions I would just colapse. My legs would just give out under me. I am fine while I am in the water, but upon getting out its like instant gravity, my legs become numb and then they just wont hold me. And it doesn't matter if I'm in the water 5 minutes or an hour, swimming or just standing nearby in case my nieces need help swimming, I have the same result upon getting out. I have been in many pools in the 8 years since getting sick and never had this result until last month. I also found that while in the pool last month I felt extra bouyant, like just standing still was difficult I kept being pushed upwards. I thought maybe it was a salt water pool or something, but the rest of the family wasn't have the same problem.

So in two weeks my brother wants to take my nieces (5 and 3) to a waterpark and my mom and I will be the only other adults there. My mom doesn't like spending too much time in the pool, would rather just be the picture taker. But with this new symptom, I won't be much help with taking the girls on the rides. We already decided no slides, but they have a lazy river and other mellow raft rides. Its the getting off that will be an issue.

Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe there is a trick to keep this symptom from occurring? The doctors haven't had much ideas on this matter when I mentioned it happening.

I just thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone else is experiencing this or if they have any tricks. Thanks.

How slowly are you getting out of the pool? I tried getting out at my pre-POTS normal speed and almost passed out; since then I've learned to take it super-slowly (stand in the pool for a few minutes, sit up on the edge for a few minutes, sit with my knees up, then slowly stand up with the help of the ladder). It sounds like your situation is much more severe than mine, but worth a try if you aren't already getting out very slowly.

Thanks for the replies. I have had numerous MRI's over the years, they all come back normal. And when I get out of the pool its not a pass out kinda situation, just a wobbley leg thing. But since the first colapse I take it real slow. First of all I'm usually only walking around in the pool anyways and always exit on the stairs so its just like walking out of the pool. But I end up sitting on the side of the pool, legs completely out of the water, for awhile before attempting to stand up. When I do stand up I have my mom or dad brace me to help me to a chair. Now we take the wheelchair to the pool, better safe than sorry. I honestly think it has more to do with joint instability than cardio problems. My joints are deteriating at a rapid pace (double spained ankles, knees buckling, slipping vertebres in my back, etc). I don't know, just taking things one day and one episode at a time.