Salt Makes Me Worse

I have been putting on weight and bloating since I started my med regime. I complained to my doc about this and she recommend removing the salt. To my surprise,my symptoms got better! In fact, now if I eat something salty it makes me feel terrible.

Well, that's surprising isn't it since you did so well with your salt & water regimen after you went to Mayo! Are you still taking Florinef? My Neuroendo told me that Florinef would not work unless you take salt with it. It's all so confusing and contradictory!! Glad your feeling better!

99% of the time when I feel bad extra salt and extra fluids ease my symptoms. This is the only addition to my POTS regimine that I can see clearly makes a difference. However, I can't even wear my wedding rings anymore because my fingers are so swollen! I would love to get off the salt!

Oh yah, I'm hearing you on the weight gain and bloating. I hate it...and the closet full of clothes that I'm growing out of. :( It's not like shopping is an option (physically or financially).

I actually stopped doing the extra salt capsules about 5 days ago and I've been pretty much on the couch or in bed for the last three days. Now I'm having constant chest pains again which I am usually able to minimize. I think it really does help me because this happens everytime I stop it. On the upside...I'm down 5 pounds. It wont last though...when I'm back on the salt tomorrow.

Such a balancing act - these electrolyte issues. Maybe adding magnesium or potassium may be of benefit. Magnesium has helped me a whole lot. But, it can lower bp - just be aware of this. A little salt is good ---too much . . . .well, I think I've talked about my feelings on this subject enough - to not repeat myself. Hope you figure it out lemons - it's so hard and frustrating.

Issie

No doctor has really told me if I have hyperpots or regular... But I have high blood pressure. So does that mean I do? And would that mean salt loading isn't a good idea?

Puppylove, it depends.

In my case, I have hyperPOTS and severe hypovolemia. If my volume status is low, it makes my catecholamine levels higher and my BP higher. I adjust the number of salt tablets I take daily based on my am weight (and I also take Florinef). I am sure, however, that there are also people with hyperPOTS who are not hypovolemic, in which case salt loading may make their HTN worse.