Ugh- I Can Not Sleep

My sleep schedule is so messed up. With nausea, adrenaline surges, other stomach problems etc. I don't fall asleep until like four in the morning. Then when I finally fall asleep I can't get up in the morning. I take a natural sleep pill with melatonin etc in it. And i have started exercising. I have just felt so stuck latley because nothing helps sleep wise or stomach wise.

Huh. That stinks. I used to have a lot of trouble sleeping and then I took melatonin...that helped. Maybe you could try different sleeping pills? The drug store always has some variety. You could also try no caffeine for a day like coffee/chocolate? Also set up a routine...maybe reading, listening to quiet music, no electronics etc. I'm so sorry about the nausea and stomach pain waking you up. That's the worst feeling to have at night :(. I hope you get some sleep soon!

Kayla

I have the same issues. Usually, I am able to fall asleep shortly after laying down, but then I will get a week or two where I just cannot fall asleep. Then my dad yells at me for being up so late, because he still doesnt quite get how sick I feel. I sleep with 2 or 3 pillows and use a noise machine on my iPad. If I'm really wound up, I take a warm bath. Sometimes though, there just doesn't seem to be anything that I can do, so I just lay with my eyes closed, trying to relax and concentrate on the noise machine instead of my symptoms.

P.S I just remembered some tips from the Internet that I looked up when I had trouble sleeping...

-This is a weird one...try to stay awake while your closing your eyes and trying to sleep. I tried it once...it helped a bit...

-Try not to think about not being able to fall asleep. If you concentrate on really really trying to sleep, then you'll feel more awake. (I know, the body can be mean to you ;) )

-(I usually don't take naps so I don't know if this works...) No naps during the day. My doc told me that affects your sleep at night.

Good luck on falling asleep tonight!

Kayla

So sorry...insomnia is the absolute worst symptom, puppy :( You may need some medication stronger than melatonin. Have you been checked for sleep disorder? You know that about a third of POTS patients have sleep apnea, so talk with your doctor about getting checked. I went for years like this, and finally, I have a Cpap to help, along with Klonopin, and even Ambien, if I'm desperate. Sleeping is imperative to living!! Without it you cannot function properly. Are you on anything for tachycardia, and your stomach issues? Exercising helps :) I do not do anything on the computer at night, usually, because it is too stimulating, and I try to wind down a few hours before actually going to sleep.

I have been getting this a lot too, and I realized the nausea and sometimes heart pounding/breathlessness is my blood sugar crashing. I know you mentioned stomach issues so it might not be an easy fix, but I find that if I eat something small close to bedtime I avoid that crash out. That said, the adrenaline sometimes does its thing regardless and I'm up forever.

You said you just started exercising. I know everyone has their own view on this, but if you're working on an empty gas tank and hitting the accelerator, could it be asking too much of your body at once? Maybe some non-cardio exercise would be worth a shot?

I'm sorry you're dealing with all of this. :( hang in there.

My sleep cycle was upside down for years, too. I would be able to go to sleep until 4 or 5 in the morning and then I would sleep until afternoon. All of a sudden in February, it corrected itself and I have no idea why! I go to sleep about 12:00 and get up about 9:00. Crazy! I am so sorry you are having this problem, too! Klonopin does help me do to sleep & a baby dose of Trazadone gives me a good deep sleep. I tried Ambien once... Laid in bed just waiting for it to hit.. 3 days later I was STILL awake!

Thanks for all of your ideas. :) I fell asleep by 2:00 am last night which is an improvement for me. :)