Pots And Tattoo Don't Mix

So I got a new tattoo yesterday. The first one since I've been sick with pots. About 2 hours after I started feeling like I had the flu and began shaking real bad. Today this continued and got worse. Interestingly, no fever. In fact I have had the opposite problem. My temp has been so low- like hovering around 96.8 and ive been shivering all day. Given the fact this happened only 2 hours after I've ruled out infection. It's got to be some hyper inflammatory response. I have never had something like this before pots. Makes me wonder if my pots is related to my immune system after all. It's like a crazy cytokines flat up or something. The tatto is also major enflammed even going up my arm (it's on my wrist). So here I sit in the ER hooked up to an IV. I wasn't going to come in but since I have mast cell issues I was worried about this being a hypersensitivity reaction or something

I got one last summer right before I was diagnosed. It's on my foot. After he finished that one, I had him touch up the one on my shoulder. When he was doing the second one, my foot was throbbing, on fire, and bleeding pretty bad. It hurt like something fierce afterwards. I wonder if that's from blood pooling but the one on my shoulder didn't hurt that bad. I didn't have the symptoms you have.

You just can't anything for granted when you have these crazy symptoms! I've never had a tattoo, but this week I had a microdermabrasion facial and I felt like I was going to become tachy and explode during the process (which did ouchie some). My propranolol kept a lid on any heart racing, but I felt like I drank a pot of coffee for about 24 hours after the facial.

So dysautonomia even makes trying to get rid of wrinkles difficult! Sheesh!

I had a strange reaction to a tat a couple years ago.

I got one on my calf and after a week or so the outline lines on one side became raised and itchy. Over the next few days it moved from one side to the next. Each day you could feel where it has slid over a little bit, until it moved completely to the other side and went away.

Every now and then one of my other tats will get raised lines and it will be itchy for a day.

Weird.

Huh.... Interesting indeed.

I have the exact opposite reaction....why does this not surprise me.

I've always wondered why Tattoos don'e bother me at all, and actually put me to sleep while having them. Feels like a massage.

Now I have a SFN diagnosis through biopsy, pretty severe, showed up in both sites of biopsy

I now wonder if this is why I really don't feel the needles, just a pressure.

The last one I got was a year and a half ago......no big deal.

Though recently I also didn't feel a thyroid biopsy. Never felt the SFN skin biopsies. Lumbar Puncture didn't phase me.

They didn't do anything other then the IV because my labs were all normal. It was definitely a cytokines/inflammatory response because as soon as all the redness around it went away I stopped feeling so sick. The symptoms are also identical to what happens when im in a bad autoimmune flare- systemic inflammation. This lead ls me to believe my body over reacts to inflammation- too much TNF alpha and interleukin. Pre-pots I did not have this reaction to inflammation even though I had RA. This makes me think the over inflammatory reaction is related to this new autoimmune pots disease. Of coarse this also triggered a pots flare up, which had been a lot better for the last 4 months :( if I had known I wouldn't have gotten it .

Man, I was really hoping to get a matching one with my hubby when we go to Vegas. (unless I sleep the whole time) He will be happy because I don't think he really wants to get one! I got my first one in my intermission time several years ago. Darn it! I am so sorry that you had such a bad reaction.

• 9 years later...

The foot just hurts a lot in general that has nothing to do with chronic illness. Foot tattoos hurt a lot more in general as well as the chest and elbow. I've had pots for over 10 years and over 80% of my body is tattooed. (Very detailed and intricate tattoos) just drink lots of fluid, make sure to wash it with antibacterial soap and keep coconut oil on it. I generally take the day off when I get a new tat because I need a nap afterwards. Other than that I'm completely fine. Worrying about it will raise your anxiety thus making it worse.