Service Dog

I am trying to get a hold of a service dog organization and am wondering what groups people on here have been able to get in contact with them about the dogs and if they are a good canidate for a service dog. I would really like to get one but every group we contact they don't contact us back which is disappointing since I know it would help out with every day.

Mully - who have you tried contacting? I'm going to be sending out an application or two in the next six months (assuming clonidine doesn't fix my extreme spaciness and trouble walking) and would appreciate more info (you can PM if that's easier). No advice, sadly, though I've seen that Canine Partners for Life has trained two dogs for POTS and one for NCS.

Hi Mully,

I have no idea if they can help you or not, but I met the owner of a local service dog place here in my hometown a few months ago at a social gathering and she seemed to have a good organization. It is called "Angel Service Dogs" and is in Colorado Springs, CO. I think her main focus is on nut allergy dogs, but I do recall her saying that they do train them for other stuff, too. Worth looking into, at least. Best of luck!

I know of a lot of organizations I filled out all of the work and sent it into capable canines but haven't heard back yet. There is also custom canines and the canine partners for life. A problem I found is that some of them want you to travel to their training site for a long period of time and stick to a specific training schedule but with my body I don't think I could make the traveling and be able to go train on a schedule like they say. I normally don't have a schedule that I must follow becasue things do come up so instead I consider it "goals to get done".

• 4 weeks later...

I work training service dogs, so I hope I can be of some help.

Most organizations will require that you spend time training with them, and even of you feel like crap, it's a great way to get ideas on coping with the dog and seeing just how you can use him.

If you tell them that you fear you may not be well enough, they will question whether or not you will be able to give the dog daily exercise. You have to be able to provide basic care with an SD as ou do any other dog or they will begin to pick up bad habits.

Be prepared to give them a list of things you would like for the dog to be able to do - remember these do not count as tasks unless they are something that you absolutely can not do for yourself.

Be weary of many organizations, I have heard bad things about some of the places listed, however I will not name which ones.

As most on here know, I myself have a service dog whose primary function is medical alert and response (he alerts to fainting and responds by tunneling under my legs to raise them, getting emergency medication, getting help, etc.). He is self trained.

If he doesn't get atleast an hour walk twice a day (not including public outings) he begins some very poor behavior that could affect his job. Just something to keep in mind.