Deep Breathing or Breath Holding

EarthMother

So when the doctor says "Take a deep breath" ... "And again" .... "Once more ..." I'd rather have blood drawn than take that third deep breath. Sometimes even the second one makes me feel off center. I consider myself a "good breather" been doing it all my life .... but I get quiet dizzy and/or uncomfortable if I take very deep breaths ... unless they are REALLY REALLY SLOW.

I also notice that I have a tendancy to hold my breath (not a good thing) when my body is uncomfortable. Hard habit to break, but I know it has to make the POTS symptoms worse.

Breathing rate and Heart Rate seem to be coorelated ... anyone else notice changes or suggestions?

Thanks,

EM

I?ve noticed this as well, when I?m asked to take those breaths I feel lightheaded. I?ve tried deep breathing and know it?s easier when I do it slow as well. I also used to take Tai Chi and my instructor would ask us to practice breathing and I noticed I would be a bit winded afterwards so.. not sure but I have similar things that happen too.

Guest tearose

At the doc's I do well for the first two deep breaths then I have to draw the following more carefullly. Consequences would be seeing white spots...I just don't let myself go there.

I haven't noticed any other issues with breathing. Hope this helps.

tearose

I completely understand that feeling- the docs never quite get why I can't keep breathing in and out deeply during those exams- but it's just not worth the consequences- I can do 2-3 deep breaths and that's it!! I took a yoga class when I was pregnant, and I always dreaded the deep relaxation because of that- when I practice at home, I skip that and just breathe normally, since it's more relaxing for me.

Before I knew I had POTS, I had been taken to the ER twice for SVT episodes(Supraventricular Tahcycardia) where my HR suddenly went well over 200 bpm- and what they always had me do was hold me breath and bear down for 10 seconds repeatedly until the HR slowed down, and eventually I was able to slow my own HR this way without going to the ER- granted, I don't have problem with fainting- I would not recommend this to anyone who passes out easily. It just shows that there is a definite correlation between HR and breathing.

Also, when I was in the process of being diagnosed, I had to have an EEG done (anyone else done this test?). You have to force yourself to hyperventilate for three minutes without stopping as part of the test, and I would've rather DIED at that moment. I had to repeat it 3 times because I kept crapping out after like 30 seconds- I finally told off the tech and skipped that part ;) Just though I'd throw that in there too!!

I've also noticed the connection between breathing and heart rate. I find that taking a deep breath, holding it for a few seconds and releasing slowly can actually slow my heart rate. I do that sometimes when it starts racing.

On the other hand, I've also experienced the dizziness when the doctor asks me to breathe deeply. I personally found that the dizziness comes when I'm breathing too fast. If I breathe deeply and slowly I don't have the same problems.

Last year I took a Prana Yama class, which is basically the art of breathing. We spent about 40 minutes doing exercises where you controlled your breath. At the start of the class I did find I felt tired and a little spacey from all the deep breathing. But, as the class progressed I got better at controlling my breath and started to feel more energized from it. I really felt like the class did me some good ;)

Pam

When my wife was at Mayo, they actually had her do the breaths to aggravate the condition as part of the diagnosis. If a doctor is familiar with POTS, they can use this to promote a response. I wouldn't do it if it was a normal doctor doing a normal exam. My wife gets in bad shape when doing that. Her neurologist mentioned that it is not uncommon for POTS patients to actually inadvertently hyperventilate themselves because of the way they breath due to the condition and the symptoms. Don't know if that helps at all, but is not an uncommon thing. My wife has all kinds of breathing/lung type issues. She has had collapsed lungs in the past as well, which doesn't help and the cold weather here is really trying for her at times. We may be moving to a warmer climate if this continues.

I have this problem as well. I also noticed I'd hold my breath at inappropriate times, such as when walking up stairs. I now breathe much the way Pam described when I walk up stairs....slow, deeper, evenly spaced breaths...and I do much better.

Michelle

Hello,

I have also had trouble with deep breathing exercises, I was even diagnosed with Asthma in the beginning.

Have any of you ever tried Yoga? It is apparently an excellent way to control breathing, once perfected. Be interesting to know if any of you have tried as i have just invested in a yoga video, to help strengthen my legs and try to learn how to breath better.

I also have trouble with breathing! Especially singing...I was a vocal performance major and now I can barely make it through a hymn in church!!

Interesting what similar symptoms we have!

Lisa