Duration Of Pots?

I tried searching for this using a few different wordings, so hopefully this isn't a repeat.

So from what I can tell, pots can:

-slowly get better

-slowly get worse

-have periods of remission/relapse

-spontaneously go away

-stay the same

LOL. I know adolescents have a good chance of growing out of it and that post-viral potsies have a better chance of recovering.

I guess what I'm wondering is:

What percentage of people do get better?

What is the average duration of pots?

I haven't been able to find any info on that.

I hate the not-knowing part of this. I'd (selfishly) like to know whether to accept my condition or continue fighting. Probably a combination of both are called for- accept how I currently am and always strive to feel the best I can, with or without pots. Sheesh!

I am always googling this site and in general for any persons that have recovered and left POTS in their past. I had a mild POTS episode in 2009 which was fainting, followed by pre syncope lasting about 3 weeks, followed by fatigue, high HR, abdominal issues that lasted about 2 more months. After about 9 months - correcting anemia and vit D deficiencies I left POTS in my past. Also, thinking it never really getting a diagnosis and then being in denial that it ever was POTS. Was hit again - exact same time of year in Jan of 2012 - this time with 4 day hospital stay, resulting in missing about 2 months of work, and still fighting to recover in month 7. I am much better than January but not even close to content with my recovery. Although I feel lucky compared to some on this forum. My attitude is a combination of telling myself these 2 conflicting options: "Tracy - you will see full recovery again. Do not stop fighting for health and answers" and also "Tracy - make peace with what you have and learn to cope with where you are; feel blessed that it's not something worse". Additionally I also let the fear of the next bout creep into my head. As many people on this forum seem to relapse. I try and live significantly in my moments of health or nearly feeling normal and push gently thru the hours or days of higher symptoms. Overall, at this time, I am getting better. Good luck to you.

No one really knows :huh: Sorry, I suppose that doesn't answer your question either, but all you have read is what people say!! :unsure: Not much help...but never stop fighting, and be the best you can be every day, because there are new mercies every morning, and research will continue!! :rolleyes: Don't give up. I'm better than I was a year ago with meds, supplements and exercise. I take advantage of my good days, but don't over do, and I rest on the days, I'm not doing so well. Listen to your body and be kind to yourself. No one ever wants to be sick, but you can have more healthful days, so stay hopeful ^_^

I wish we’d know the answer to this question. I don’t think it is even known how many people suffer from Pots, let alone for how long etc. It is all so new to most experts, they don’t have enough patients that have lived through a life time to tell their experiences. I have read about young people growing out of it it, which is great. I have had it for 18 years, but I only found out what it was a year ago. The 17 years before was endless searching, frustration and trying to get on with my life as best I could. I am fairly functional now, have ‘modelled’ my life in such a way that I don’t have to suffer bad episodes too often, on medication etc. But it hasn’t been like that for 18 years. Ups and downs.

I hope your pots will go away with time (mine too please) but in the mean time, make the best of what you can do, find a doctor that can help with the right medication and advice. Stay strong.

• 2 months later...

My doctor told me that since I've had it for so many years I will more than likely have it for the rest of my life. I've always heard (in one of those utube videos) that POTS can disappear just as quickly and mysteriously as it appeared. I hope for everyone's sake it goes away!!