"possible Secondary Pots"?

So, I had my follow up with my cardiologist this month about my TTT results, and requested a copy of my "diagnosis" to be sent in the mail. When I was there, he came in and asked me "have you ever heard of POTS?" I said yes. That was why I went in to begin with, because I highly suspect I have POTS. He said that's what he believed I had and prescribed me a Beta Blocker.

Anyways, I got the copy of my records in the mail today, and it says: Possible POTS secondary to heart rate exceeding 120bpm w/in 10min of rising. Impression and plan - Tachycardia: Chronic.

Otherwise my TTT was neg., because I did not faint.

So...I guess this means he actually diagnosed me with straight up Tachycardia? I looked up Tachycardia symptoms, and those of 'just' Tachycardia don't even BEGIN to described my symptoms.

Now what? Should I push on and see another Dr. out of state to look more into what's going on, or do I just leave it as it is? This Dr. didn't even realize that my fluctuating body temperature would have anything to do with POTS, which sort of left me feeling like maybe he isn't the right Dr. that I need to be seeing for this.

My best advice to you is go with your gut and it sounds like your gut reaction is to find a more knowledgeable doctor. It's been 5 and a half years and lots of doctors tried before my husband and I felt like our daughter was finally seeing a great doctor. He was very knowledgeable, great at communicating, and had such a great bedside manner. I wish we could've found this doctor long ago! We're so sad he's now moving to another hospital although we may just drive a little further to see him!

Just curious but did you have the sweat test run on you as well? What are your symptoms?

Good luck!

Brenda

Sounds to me like you could read his note to mean that he's diagnosing you with POTS as a result of (in other words "secondary to") having the HR exceeding 120 BPM which would meet the criteria for POTS.

Does sound like he's not totally comfortable or familiar with POTS so you might want to look for a second opinion. Although, even having been to a couple of the big name centers, my treatment isn't any different than what my local cardio recommended based on his very limited knowledge of POTS. However, I have a correct and more complete diagnosis and a lot more knowledge about my condition for having gone to the big centers. And, I choose to travel 7 hours each way every three months to continue to be followed by a POTS neuro who DOES know a lot more than my local doc. It's a lot easier and less frustrating for me personally to travel than to fight my way thru the ignorance of the local docs I was seeing.