Anxiety? Breastfeeding And Pots Medications?

I'm 4 months postpartum and am experiencing a lot of anxiety. It feels like it's the POTS and not a postpartum hormonal thing, but I can't be sure of that of course. It just feels like some days my predominant symptom is queasiness, some days it's dizziness, and some days it's anxiety.

I just went in to see my PCP (who is awesome and who instantly suspected dysautonomia the first time I went to the ER for dizziness), but he is on vacation and his partner was like, well, it sounds like you need to quit breastfeeding and start florinef. I can't give you anything for anxiety since your problem is POTS and not anxiety itself. But my thinking is that as a symptom, it can be managed, just like you can manage nausea with Zofran, etc. But I don't know a lot about anxiety medications. I just feel like I need something to stop the panic feeling, or at least take the edge off of it, because I've been talking myself out of panicking for weeks, and I can't do it forever.

So anyway, I'm wondering about an SSRI. Can anyone tell me about their experiences on them, and which one you take? Also, what about compatibility with breastfeeding? And what about things to take for short-term relief of anxiety? I know you can't give me medical advice, but I'm just wondering which drugs are commonly used. My husband is friends with our PCP and is going to try to track him down on his vacation and ask for his advice. He is super attentive and I know he will help, but we'd like to know what to ask him.

Oh, and I also meant to ask if anyone had breastfed while on Florinef. If so, did you monitor the baby for growth suppression? My babies are 25th percentile for weight - they grow adequately but not quickly. I only make about 24 oz. of breast milk per 24 hours, which is apparently adequate, but in other words, I don't make tons, so I worry that this would instantly lead to the pediatrician saying she's not growing enough.

Also, does anyone know why steroids cause growth suppression in infants? Do they affect the infants' growing mechanisms, or do they affect the mother's milk supply?

Hi Shannon,

I take an SSRI - the equivalent of Lexapro. It took a long time to get used to and it was pretty rough, but once I hit the 6 week mark, it helped all of my symptoms - POTS and anxiety. I am also wondering about taking it while breastfeeding, (I am considering having another child, but I am nervous about going ahead while I have POTS.) My docs said it was considered OK while pregnant, but I didn't find out about breastfeeding yet.

Good Luck!

Abby

My sister was on zoloft for 3 pregnancies and she breastfed one of her babies for several months, was never informed of a problem with it. My daughter's pediatrician did not want me to breastfeed her while taking Prozac (for POTS), an SSRI. However other doctors (ob/gyn and cardiologist) said it was OK. Ultimately I erred on the side of caution (I guess) and weaned her. I regretted it later b/c since then I have been aware of many people taking SSRIs and breastfeeding. It's really confusing when you get conflicting messages from doctors. I think it is b/c such limited data is available. In this case maybe there is more now than 10 yrs ago.

I had a very bad night and don't know if I should continue on the Zoloft or try something else. I'm feeling very anxious. Blergh. I've been the ER (blood levels fine so they did not give me IV fluids - I thought I was dehydrated because of the dry mouth Zoloft caused) and am emailing back and forth with my doctor.

Zoloft was a nightmare for me. It was prescribed before we knew i had Pots, but it made me feel like I could crawl out of my skin. I took it for 2 days and after 48 hrs I looked at my husband and told him I had never felt so mentally unstable in my life. It also made me aggressive and angry and have insomnia. I also remember the horrible dry mouth. From what I hear people say these types of side effects go away after several weeks, but there was no way I could have held on that long.

I'm sorry that wasn't super helpful, but am curious why you tried an Ssri before florinef?

My anxiety was through the roof for about 2 weeks on an SSRI (Prozac) and overall my POTS was worse. However my doctor strongly encouraged me to ride it out as these are typically short-lived side effects (one of the side effects of an SSRI can be autonomic dysfunction!). I was glad that I did b/c after several weeks I really began to feel worlds better and continued on an upward trajectory. I do think the SSRI helped me. I also took a beta blocker and also did biofeedback.

I was too sick myself to nurse either of my children. I just wanted to let you know that formulas have come a long way. Both of my children thrived. I just wouldn't want you to feel that you are harming your child if you choose to wean. As my doctor explained it is just food. A mother's diet ( and medication ) affects the quality of milk. Some people are almost militant about pushing breast feeding as if moms who bottle feed are "bad". Most "research" on this topic is co-relational and therefore pretty useless.

I now laugh at suggestions that bottle fed babies are less intelligent, have more ear infections, or my very favorite ...nursing is increases the bond you have with your child. The current statistics on this topic do not allow for the socioeconomic background of the mothers. My children are both more intelligent than my husband and me. It is insulting to suggest that breastfeeding is needed for bonding with your child. Fathers and adoptive parents everywhere would disagree. I have 16 nieces and nephews that were nursed. My babies were just as healthy ( if not more so ) than their cousins. They also have always been on honor roll. I have a niece ( breastfed exclusively) with diabetes and nephews who have academic problems.

The best gift you can give your child is a healthy mother so I hope that you feel confident that whatever you do to promote your own health is the right thing to do. As a side note, my husband loved being able to feed our children. For my children it was the best decision and my only regret is that I felt the need to explain myself ( I was in my 20's) to obnoxious women who believe that it is wrong to bottle feed. Best wishes