There Might Be Something To Biofeedback After All.

jangle

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/65/5/796.full

Seems the results of this study showed that biofeedback can actually increase HRV as well as baroreflex gain. These results were maintained even without practicing the technique i.e. it led to long term changes in HRV and baroreflex responsiveness. They speculate it's because of neuroplasticity and that might be the case.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try their technique. I don't have access to their biofeedback software but they made it seem like you just do one natural breath every 10 seconds exhaling through pursed lips for 20 minutes a day.

I agree with this to a point. I think that biofeedback can help a little, almost as much as compression with myself. However, when I was not medicated or on the proper medications biofeedback could not control my symptoms. Now though, i still get pots like feelings and am able to use biofeedback to control them. The big things I say to myself are: this isn't going to kill you, its okay, it will pass soon etc. It helps a lot but I have to believe what i am saying otherwise it doesn't work. Also, I have recognized that the less I acknowledge pots symptoms, the easier I can navigate activities of daily living. Sometimes pushing through them creates the best results. Other times though, pushing makes it worse.

Well I did 6 breath/min with the pursed lips for 20 minutes twice today. I can honestly say that I did feel better after doing the technique, but I slowly went back to feeling the same. If I could maintain the "high" all the time that'd be great. It felt like what Lemons mentioned - about the same effect as compression stockings.

Im interested in the idea of using biofeedback to improve particular bodily functions but since no one really knows what is causing POTS I struggle to see how it can be applied at the moment. perhaps in the future when we have a better understanding of POTS it might be more useful.

I thought exercise was your ticket?

Im interested in the idea of using biofeedback to improve particular bodily functions but since no one really knows what is causing POTS I struggle to see how it can be applied at the moment. perhaps in the future when we have a better understanding of POTS it might be more useful.

I was feeling great late March and April no doubt. But in May I got a pretty bad relapse and it's continued. I still feel better than January and I'm jogging 5-6 miles + weights + stairmaster and all that. Hopefully I'll get back to how I was in April. My doctor stopped my Losartan in early May so that might have been why. I'm going back on it.

Why did your dr take you off of the medication? That's one reason I am hesitant with meds. It's seems the minute your getting relief they want to wean you off. If I start feeling great with say fludrocortisone and exercise then there is no way I'm gonna want to change things up if it's working!

I was feeling great late March and April no doubt. But in May I got a pretty bad relapse and it's continued. I still feel better than January and I'm jogging 5-6 miles + weights + stairmaster and all that. Hopefully I'll get back to how I was in April. My doctor stopped my Losartan in early May so that might have been why. I'm going back on it.

Losartan helps a friend i know from canada so yeah could be a good call mate. goodluck

There is definitely something to biofeedback. I have tried it. I think it can help, it is a tool to improve overall health and manage/reduce symptoms, but it is not a cure. To me it is not even as effective as compression stockings, because you don't have to think about the stockings once you put them on. If you were feeling better on a medicine, makes sense to get back on it.

Sounds like the breathing technique Ive been using. I started it because of dr Stewart's theory on hyperventilation. I know now I don't have this but the way they treat this is by doing this type of breathing for 5-10 minutes 2-3x a day.. Jangles it takes about 2 weeks for it to work, so don't expect miracles right away..

Jangle- why did you start taking losartan in the 1st place? Haven't heard many trying it...

• 2 months later...